Specialist Advanced Chemist* Job Listing at 3M in Indianapolis, IN
Title: Specialist Advanced Chemist*
3M Company is seeking an Advanced Chemistry Specialist for the Hearing Protection Business within the Personal; Safety Division of the Safety & Graphics Business Group of 3M
Job Summary :
The right person will be the lead technical/commercial expert in foam materials, chemistries and material technologies for our Product Development Team. In this role you will be directly involved in the exploration of new material chemistries with an emphasis on foam chemistry; expertise in a number of product technology areas, including polyurethane and polyvinyl chloride foam chemistry, foam molding, surface chemistry, polymer and material science, production scale-up and processing; and process technologies that can advance our hearing product lines. In addition you will lead efforts to develop products for targeted new growth markets relevant to our strategic interests.
Additionally you will be responsible for supporting our current product line by understanding all the chemistry/material technologies and the associated processes, interfacing with key personnel both internally and externally. You must be aware of the latest technological developments on a global basis, and also the latest regulatory and safety standards. You are an industry expert that represents 3M externally in key industry organizations/societies.
The position of Advanced Chemistry Specialist will be located in Indianapolis, IN and may include up to 10% travel. Relocation benefits are authorized for this position.
Major Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
* Manages the Indianapolis Material Sciences R&D group PSD Hearing Protection Division.
* Lead chemical, materials scientist for the Hearing Protection & Communication Products businesses. Understand the chemistries, material science and process technologies for all the products in the Hearing product line, which includes polyurethane foams, polyvinyl chloride foams and thermoplastic elastomers.
* Participates in the identification of consumer problems and in the subsequent ideation of new product concepts. Evaluates the technical feasibility of the product concepts from both the end-user and technical perspective.
* Provides consultation for existing product/business technical support for chemistries, materials and process. Works with colleagues and customers. The incumbent is a resource valued for technical and commercial judgment to protect our current business.
* Communicates the impact of projects and programs to all functions and business management.
* Leads exploration of new chemistries and materials. Responsible for setting the technical and commercial direction for the following chemistry/technology areas:
* Polyurethane and Polyvinyl Chloride Foam Chemistry. (Slow recovery foams)
* Thermoplastic Elastomers.
* Evaluation of New Materials and/or Chemistries
* Translation of Product Chemistry to End-User Needs
* Identifies industry needs and presents new opportunities.
* Understands and anticipates the impact of new product chemistry/technology and/or changes to existing product chemistry on end-use performance, product quality, plant processing and production costs.
* Responsible for monitoring current and new product chemistry/technology practices.
* Mentor. Teaches others regarding our products, processes and laboratory procedures.
* On a project basis, responsible for evaluating our intellectual property and collaborating on the development of appropriate patent strategies.
* Responsible for competitive technology assessment, which includes reverse engineering of competitor’s product and process technology.
* Serves as an external 3M Technical Leader in the Hearing Protection and Communication Products safety industry. Assumes an active leadership role in relevant professional organizations and societies.
Must exhibit a high degree of human relations skills with influencing abilities in order to work effectively with many functions to design, develop, install and implement new products and technologies. Must be able to represent the company externally with respect to new technology development and establish close working relationships with key people in research, manufacturing, marketing, sales, as well as key customer personnel. Demonstrate high credibility with customers and with the industry. Helps guide and train less experienced professionals.
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.
* Masters Degree or higher with an accredited university
* Minimum 7 years of product development experience
* Experience working with polyurethane foams
* PhD in Chemistry or related Materials Science
* Experience working with coating and/or foam chemistries
* Experience in polyurethane foam and/or adhesive formulation
* Combined experience with developing adhesives and/or polymeric foams
* Combined work experience in Hearing Protection and/or Hearing Conservation
* Proven track record of successful product introduction
* Self starter/self directed that leads with high energy and passion
* Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively manage other professionals
* Ability to work with cross functional teams and across multiple functions and disciplines
* Effective facilitation, communication and teaching skills
* Ability to engage and influence the organization
* Ability to multi-task and handle large workloads under time constraints
* Ability to understand and apply analytical and statistics tools
* Results oriented with strong process and execution skills
3M captures the spark of new ideas and transforms them into thousands of ingenious products. Our culture of creative collaboration inspires a never-ending stream of powerful technologies that make life better. 3M is the innovation company that never stops inventing. With $30 billion in sales, 3M employs about 84,000 people worldwide and has operations in more than 65 countries. For more information, visithttp://www.youtube.com/user/3Mor follow @3MNews on Twitter.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Pharm./Biotech jobs in Indianapolis, IN
View similar jobs:
Kelly Services - Indianapolis, IN
Kelly Services - Indianapolis, IN
Biomedical Technician I
Fresenius Medical Care - Danville, IN
Locate this job: