Engineering Manager - Visual Search Job Listing at A9.com in Palo Alto, CA
Engineering Manager - Visual Search
A9.com is the search technology subsidiary of Amazon.com. We value all the positive traits of a successful startup -- creativity, a fast pace, high energy, a place where everybody and their work is important, and the work is done together in a fun environment. Combine these traits with the history of success and the resources of Amazon.com. The result is a winning combination for the team and for our customers.
Our Visual Search team is looking for a distributed computing expert to manage our growing infrastructure and apps team. The job entails managing a growing team of engineers building out the infrastructure for visual search, a rapidly growing field of search where the primary input for search is an image. If the description below describes you accurately, please do get in touch with us!
* While you may no longer be a proficient coder, you should have been one in the not too distant past, preferably using C++ and Java.
* While you may no longer write code, you should have the ability to read and appreciate high quality code and also lead code- and design-reviews.
* While you may not be the foremost subject-matter expert in the group you lead, you should be smart enough to foster the creation and implementation of the best technical ideas from your team members.
* You should have the ability to stand toe-to-toe with your senior engineers and product managers in technical discussions and finesse out the best designs. You should also have the ability to mentor your most junior engineers.
* You should have the ability to manage software projects through seemingly endless minor, or even major, crises.
* You should provide great attention to detail in both engineering and personnel matters.
* You should make great decisions and be able to convince your management chain of the merits of your ideas.
* You should be fearless in experimenting with technical approaches, but cautious and thoughtful in choosing the optimal ones for deployment.
* You should feel a visceral excitement about the field of Visual Search and how such solutions can change the way we search.
What you need:
* A strong understanding of highly distributed computing.
* A strong understanding of search technologies.
* Experience managing a software development engineering team
* Significant experience as a software developer
* Experience with development of highly scalable, production quality systems
* A strong sense of ownership
* Preference for candidates who are familiar with NoSQL systems.
* Excellent communication, quick problem-solving skills, and thorough analytical abilities
* Master''s degree in Computer Science, Ph.D. preferred.
Just submit your applicationonline, and we’ll take it from there.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Engineering jobs in San Jose, CA
View similar jobs:
Senior Display ME Engineer
Amazon - Cupertino, CA
Sr. Quality Specialist, Verinanta
Talentburst, Inc. - Redwood City, CA
Talentburst, Inc. - Sunnyvale, CA
Locate this job: