Locate this job
The Senior Actuarial Assistant will support Allstate Business Insurance. This person is responsible for designing, developing, and updating new and existing rating plans for commercial insurance lines of business utilizing accepted actuarial standards and methodologies. He/She works closely with their Analytics Manager and Line Manager to develop appropriate pricing and product strategies of moderate to high complexity to support business goals. He/She typically has at least three years of actuarial pricing or rating plan development experience.
Individuals pursuing an actuarial designation would be placed in Band T3, Senior Actuarial Assistant, whereas individuals not pursuing an actuarial designation would be placed in Band C, Product Operations Senior Consultant. Pursuit of an actuarial designation is not a requirement for the job.
· Support/lead development, design and communication of new plans, programs, processes, and products
· Performs qualitative and quantitative analysis of data to support development of rating plans and pricing for programs and products including modeling using Generalized Linear Model (GLM) techniques and retention studies
· Evaluate moderately complex trend analysis (e.g., competitor analysis, risk management, financial)
· Reviews and observe appropriateness of intermediate actuarial formulae
· Works closely, when appropriate, with internal partners to analyze rating models
· Works closely, when appropriate, with external vendors to analyze external data and/or analyze rating models
· Project Management
o Plan, implement, manage and/or contribute to projects that are moderate/high complexity (using accepted project management standards).
o Forecast short-term and long-term deliverables.
o Track individual plan performance and project timeline
o Communicate and presents project status
o Manage project team members
o Assess resource needs (including skills and training requirements)
o Solicits inputs from stakeholders
· Evaluate procedures/processes regularly
· Contribute to market share growth and profitability by recommending analyses, routine changes to products, pricing, risk management and providing expertise in their respective discipline(s)
· Train/coach team members or peers and actively shares expertise with peers
· Leverage understanding of current industry and professional standards/environment to impact decisions and indicate requirements
· May supervise one or more entry level actuarial and/or quantitative analysts
- Typically has at least three years of actuarial pricing or rating plan development experience
- Bachelor’s degree required – preferably in related field of study such as actuarial science, math/applied math, statistics/applied statistics, economics
- Standard knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research; experience with SAS preferred
- Has an understanding of current industry and professional standards/ environment to impact decisions and indicate requirements
- Can analyze data and review analysis from others and identify and resolve basic data issues
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office: Intermediate – Excel, Intermediate – Word, Beginner – Outlook, Basic - PowerPoint
- Possesses working knowledge of policies and procedures in management or other technical fields
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively collaborate with multi-disciplinary groups and all organizational levels
- High level organizational and project management skills in order to handle multiple concurrent assignments in a timely manner and to monitor processes throughout a team or department
- Strong decision making skills
- Works effectively in a team environment
Careers @Allstate We do everything we can to encourage, enhance, provide tools and promote growth in ways that are good for all, so we reach greater heights together. You’ll be part of a company that’s innovating new products and experiences. You’ll be going beyond protecting people to developing ways to help them live smarter every day. You’ll be doing more than mobilizing to get people back on their feet during catastrophes like hurricanes or wildfires. You’ll be mobilizing efforts to bring awareness to teen driving safety and other issues affecting communities across the country. It takes of us. It takes the best of us. And it makes us better. You will make us better. Growth Development You One of the biggest misconceptions people make is assuming that the insurance industry isn’t engaging, exciting or challenging. We invest millions each year in in-depth training, performance enhancement and personal mentoring programs designed to give you the resources and relationships you need to remain stimulated while you apply and develop your interests and skills in ways you never thought of before. Through challenging assignments, rotational work experiences and specialized advancement opportunities, you’ll have a place where you can forge your own career path and grow to your full potential. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn to find out for yourself... or hear from some of our employees in our short video: Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands. Benefits Rewards Balance As part of the Allstate team, a competitive salary is just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like medical and dental as well as a robust pension and 401(k). It also packs in some of the most fulfilling work/life programs you’ll find anywhere. And, you’ll be compensated and rewarded along the way.
- Pension plan PLUS 401K
- Career path/succession planning
- Mentoring programs
- Tuition reimbursement
- Inclusive work environment
- Flexible schedules
- Generous paid time off (with option to purchase additional days)
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life and Long Term Disability Insurance
- On-site fitness center, doctor and pharmacy
- On-site childcare
- On-site oil changes, hair/nail salon, dry-cleaning, Starbucks Red Mango
- Health and wellness benefits, including: nutrition/weight management, smoking cessation program, stress management, lifestyle coaching, financial resources
- Adoption assistance program
- Comprehensive health insurance plans
- Flexible spending accounts (FSA)
- Employee Resource Groups including Allstate Women's Information Network (AWIN), Professional Latino Allstate Network (PLAN), Allstate Asian American Network (3AN), Allstate Network of Gay and Lesbian Employees and Supporters (ANGLES), African American Working Network (AAWN), Young Professional Organization (YPO), Parents Working Together (PWT), Allstate Adoption Network (AAN) and Allstate Veterans Engagement Team and Supporters (AVETS)
Join our award-winning team! Diversity, balance, innovation and providing an environment where employees can thrive. These are all core values at Allstate, and we have the awards to prove it:
- The World’s Leading Top 100 Companies – Forbes magazine
- Diversity Elite - America’s Best 50 Companies for Minorities – Fortune magazine
- Top 100 Military Friendly Employers List - MilitaryFriendly.com
- 50 Happiest Companies in America - CareerBliss
- Best Places to Work for Recent Grads - ConnectEDU
- 100 Best Companies for Working Mothers – Working Mother magazine
- Top 40 Best Companies for Hispanics to Work – Hispanic Business magazine
- Top 10 Companies for African Americans to Work – DiversityInc
- Top 100 Best Places to Work in IT – Computerworld magazine
- Top 100 Companies for Employee Training and Development – Training magazine
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please see the notice regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.
Apply on company website