System Design Engineer Job Listing at Alstom in Stafford (Job ID alstomcollege-STA000CJ)
Title: System Design Engineer
With over 50 years of experience in HVDC, Alstom Grid’s Power Electronics division in Stafford (PES) is an international leader in high power electronics and control technology our site located in Stafford is the worldwide HVDC Centre of Excellence.
Through innovative creativity and engineering excellence combined with a unique exposure to full product lifecycle, our Systems engineers ensure we are at the forefront of worldwide innovation in HVDC.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join our innovative and dynamic Systems Team; the successful candidate will be working on global projects for an international leader within the energy sector.
The successful candidate will be required to interpret the customer’s technical enquiry and design the most cost-effective overall solution for a HVDC installation utilising the power electronic solutions, with the primary objective to minimise the total cost while specifying the main high value items brought-out equipment.
· Main Circuit Design - For HVDC equipment the optimisation of overall voltage and current ratings (includes transient circuit current analysis) and real/reactive power ratings. Determination of control angles/conduction angles and overall (top-level) control strategy.
· Equipment Specification - Creation of project-specific, high economic value, equipment specifications for equipment such as power transformers, instrument transformers, reactors, capacitors, surge arresters etc.
· Filter Design - Design of AC, DC, high Frequency harmonic filters and screening. Calculations of filter performance and rating. Creation of project-specific equipment specifications for filter reactors/capacitors/resistors.
· Insulation Coordination Studies - Determination (by simulation) of temporary and transient overvoltage stresses on equipment’s and surge arrester energy ratings.
· Reliability and Availability Studies - Creation of overall reliability and availability models for projects and reporting to the client.
· Losses - Calculation of overall project losses and reporting to the client.
· Research & Development - Participate in research and development activities associated with the engineering activities identified above.
We are looking for a diverse and disciplined electrical/electronics engineer educated to degree level majoring in Power Systems engineering discipline (2;1 minimum) a higher degree in Power Systems is preferred, experience in HVDC design will be considered advantageous.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of HVDC Circuit design, filter design, power quality issues, insulation coordination and main equipment characteristics for HVDC, along with an understanding of the use of computer mathematical MATHCAD and simulation tools (EMTDC/PSCAD, Matlab) as applied to the design in the aforementioned activities.
· Understanding of characteristics of HVDC Valves and their control systems
· Fluency in English
· Presentation ability both external and internal required
· Self-initiative, team oriented
· Prepared to travel within the role when required
· Strong communication and reporting skills
· Ability to prioritise workloads
This can be the beginning of an extraordinary career at Alstom Grid. In return for your dedication, you’ll enjoy all the development opportunities you’d expect from a growing organisation with a deep heritage and a worldwide reputation in Electrical Engineering. Further benefits include but are not limited to a very competitive pension plan, a profit share scheme and 25 8 days holiday entitlement.
Alstom is a global leader in the world of power generation, power transmission and rail infrastructure and sets the benchmark for innovative and environmentally friendly technologies. Alstom builds the fastest train and the highest capacity automated metro in the world, provides turnkey integrated power plant solutions and associated services for a wide variety of energy sources, including thermal (coal, nuclear, gas...) and renewable ones (hydro, wind, solar...) and it offers a wide range of solutions for power transmission, with a focus on smart grids. The Group employs 92,500 people in around 100 countries, and had sales of over € 20.9 billion in 2010/11. More information about Alstom at:www.alstom.com
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Engineering jobs in Newcastle, UK
View similar jobs:
Regional Engineering Manager Engineer Surveyor
Morson International - Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Locate this job: