Apply on Company Website
Computers & Information Technology, Marketing
GENERAL SCOPE SUMMARY
With coordination and direction from management, a Principal Engineer is a primary developer for a product component, responsible for design, documentation, implementation, unit testing and defect fixing of new and existing products. The Principal Engineer will be responsible for handling critical customer problems in real-time and developing code fixes or enhancements to be included in future code releases. The job requires close interaction with Development, QA, Support and Professional Services teams. The Principal Engineer leverages computer programming languages and other specific technologies required to develop and maintain the component at an advanced level.
PRIMARY ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Analyzes, designs, programs, debugs, and does ongoing modification of software components.
- Code may be used in commercial end-user applications, prototypes, or in test tools or other supporting programs.
- Using the required programming languages and other technologies, writes code, completes programming, and performs testing and debugging of applications.
- Interact with internal cross-functional members to better understand system requirements and/or necessary modifications.
- Responsible for the design, development, testing, documentation and analysis of modules or features of new or upgraded software systems and products.
- Develops and/or executes implementation according to project plans and priorities.
- Participate in development in any of a range of product areas such as thin client, rich client, server, installation, communication layers, and so forth.
- Troubleshoot, analyze, replicate, regress and resolve complex field software problems escalated to engineering.
- Work closely with developers and performance engineers to enhance supportability and identify performance bottleneck in the product.
- Design, implement and test enhancement feature requests to enhance product functionality as needed.
- Responsible for handling critical customer problems in real-time and developing code fixes or enhancements to be included in future code releases or patches.
- Coordinate, respond, track and follow-up on customer problem reports/technical support requests for Engineering.
- Reproduce customer issues and resolve them by either establishing a workaround or a solution, or by debugging and creating a bug fix.
- Work with support engineers, professional services and sales engineers to investigate and handle customer and field escalated cases.
- Create and document best practices guidelines and knowledge base articles.
- Completes documentation and procedures for installation and maintenance.
- Provides estimated timelines for fixes.
- Ensures products are up to date with 3rd party components that are in use.
- Proactively identify non-compliance of code against requirements/standards/design and raise defects.
- Work with members in the organization across various time zones.
- Directs and or guides junior staff on specific tasks.