Exploration Geophysicist Job Listing at BHP Billiton in Houston, TX (Job ID bhpbilliton-753569)
Energy, Metals & Mining
Business / Project:
Full Time Regular (USA)
US - Texas - Houston
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we're the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
BHPB Petroleum currently operates exploration licenses globally and is involved in active and extensive exploration in these areas.
The Geophysicist will work as part of a multidisciplinary team, involved in integration of data to deliver seismic interpretations and play fairway maps aimed at improving both greater regional and block-specific knowledge, and allow high-grading the most prospective areas. In addition, the geophysicist will be expected to actively identify and undertake assessment of new opportunities.
The job will also involve working with and giving regular presentations to BHPB management, Joint Venture Partners and host country government agencies as applicable.
• An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
• Work with all members of the team and specialist groups to ensure the areas of BHPB interest are evaluated to the highest technical standard within the time frame required of the work program.
• Delivery of high-quality interpretation products, including quality control and overall integration of all relevant geoscience studies / results from contributing specialists; apply regional understanding to the definition and risking of leads and prospects.
• Participate in risking of leads and prospects, and development of economic cases for drilling and acreage capture.
• Represent BHP Billiton Petroleum, as necessary, at partner and government meetings (TCM, OCM).
Work with the Global Exploration and Geoscience Function groups to ensure compliance with company standards and take part in peer-assists / reviews.
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
• Intellectual Firepower
• Strong Organizational and Leadership Skills
• Ability to commit to and Deliver Results on Time
• Develops Organizational Capability
• Fosters Creativity and Innovation
• Applies Strategic Business Perspective
• Brings out the Best in Others
• Sets Direction and Builds Alignment
• Excellent Influencing Skills
• High level Technical Communication Skills (oral and written)
• Cultural Sensitivity to a Global Working Environment
• Exploration Managers/Supervisors
Geoscience Function and BHPB Technical Specialists
• Joint Venture Partners
• Regulatory and Government agencies
DIRECT REPORTS (POSITIONS):
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in geoscience minimum
EXPERIENCE AND TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES:
• A minimum of 5 years experience in the upstream petroleum industry.
• Good geophysical interpretation and mapping skills at regional and prospect level.
• A working knowledge of structural and stratigraphic interpretation methods, including sequence stratigraphy.
• A working knowledge of extensional and compressional tectonic settings and of both shelf and deep water depositional systems and architectures.
• A good working knowledge of exploration processes from play fairway analysis to prospect maturation, volumetric assessment, risk assessment and the synthesis of diverse regional datasets.
• The capability to generate new play concepts and challenge existing models / interpretations.
• Familiarity with Landmark, Petrosys and Petrel interpretation software would be highly advantageous.
Excellent written and spoken English
This position requires expertise in the following areas:
Foldbelt interpretation experience, preferably in deepwater settings with associated syn-kinematic sedimentary deposition. Knowledge of seismic imaging issues in this setting is a plus.
Identification and assessment of new opportunities, and undertaking regional and play analysis to support acreage capture
Sound knowledge of fluid and lithology prediction; developing and maintaining solid links with the QI team in Geoscience Technology, assuring Rock Physics methodologies are appropriately applied to the assessment of prospectivity; providing advice to the team on the interpretation of amplitude response in the areas of interest.
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world's largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer
7 Dec 2012 Central Standard Time
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Other jobs in Houston, TX
View similar jobs:
PCA II - Med Surg Unit
Community Health Systems - Tomball, TX
Relationship Manager I - Business Banking - Meyerland
Chase - TX, Texas
LR31 - Contracts Manager
Kelly Services - Houston, TX
Locate this job: