Facilities Engineering Advisor - Central Engineering Job Listing at BHP Billiton in Houston, TX (Job ID bhpbilliton-746798)
Energy, Metals & Mining
Facilities Engineering Advisor - Central Engineering
Business / Project:
Full Time Regular (USA)
US - Texas - Houston
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we're the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
The Central Engineering Facilities Engineering Advisor is BHPB's global Subject Matter Expert (SME) regarding Facilities Engineering. This is an individual contributor, technical role that provides:
* Direct facilities engineering technical support, as required, to ongoing operations and projects in both the Production and Development Divisions
* Facilities engineering technical assurance via direct review of engineering deliverables, participation in peer reviews/assists, and participation in fundamental Petroleum processes such as Management of Change and System Custodian.
* Facilities engineering technical requirements via the development, implementation, and performance monitoring of global standards (internal and external) and global processes
* Identification of the skills required for facilities engineering roles and the job duties and training necessary to develop those skills
* A perspective on industry technical developments in facilities engineering and their applicability to BHPB projects/operations
* Networking capability with facility engineering SME's at other operators and engineering contractors
The Central Engineering Facilities Engineering Advisor is accountable for ensuring that BHPB Petroleum facilities engineering work is done in accordance with applicable industry and BHPB standards, to the appropriate level of detail, and that BHPB standards and requirements meet or exceed industry requirements. This role is also accountable for ensuring that BHPB facilities engineers are fully participative in internal assurance processes (such as management of change, root cause analysis) as required. This role is also accountable for identifying the skills required to perform as a facilities engineer and the training opportunities that allow development of those skills. Finally, this role is BHPB's point of contact to external entities regarding global facilities engineering issues and initiatives.
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
BHPB's Leadership Model consists of the following elements:
Feedback and Recognition
The most important characteristics for this specific role are Action Orientation, Credibility, Communication, Collaboration, Accountability, and Judgment
Additional Position Specific qualities that impact overall effectiveness:
Breadth and Depth of Technical Experience
Strong Influencing Skills
Ability to Prioritize Work in a Dynamic Environment
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This role requires extensive collaboration with a wide range of BHPB personnel in different geographic locations. Successful performance in the role will require the ability to:
* Form collaborative relationships with engineering, operations, and HSE personnel in different operating environments and on capital projects
* Develop an understanding of all of BHPB's Petroleum operations, existing projects, and future projects
* Quickly and accurately determine critical engineering issues and develop (jointly, with line personnel) solutions to those issues at both existing operations and capital projects
* Execute solutions to facilities engineering technical problems, both directly and by influencing or leading teams of BHP personnel and/or third parties
* Support and contribute to global engineering, operations, and HSE initiatives as they arise.
Specific roles and responsibilities include:
* Ensure adherence to relevant industry and BHPB Petroleum policies and practices, codes, regulations, and standards in the facilities engineering discipline
* Assure requisite diligence and accuracy of critical facilities engineering deliverables
* Provide direct technical support to operating units and capital projects on an as needed basis
* Participate in the planning, development and implementation of BHPB Petroleum standards and processes.
* Provide technical support as Management of Change (MOC) Global Coordinator to both Project Development and Production Division Operated sites for the implementation and sustainability of the Petroleum Management of Change Process
* Provide technical support as System Custodian Global Coordinator to Production Division Operated sites for the implementation and sustainability of the Petroleum System Custodian Process
* Provide technical support to the Operations and Maintenance and Risk Engineering Global Teams with respect to Management of Critical Equipment
* Team Leader for the Closure Work Group in the review, endorsement and submission of the Petroleum Annual Closure Summary Reports and respective site Closure Plans
* Develop skill requirements for the Facilities Engineering discipline
* Endorse recruitment of new facilities engineers prior to approvals
* Identify technical areas where a contribution can be made and influence stakeholders to accept these contributions
* Work with cross-functional disciplines such as Project Development and Production Unit engineering and operations personnel, and other functional personnel (Health Safety Environment Community; Human Resource and Information Management).
* Stay abreast of industry technical trends in the area of facility engineering and assess their applicability to BHPB operations.
Central Engineering Facilities Engineering Manager and Surface Engineering Manager
Production Unit Surface Engineering Managers and Surface Engineering Staff
Production Unit Operations Manager and Supervisory Staff
Development Division Project Supervisors and Surface Engineering Staff
Production and Development Division HSE Management and Staff
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
This job requires a Bachelor of Science in Chemical, Mechanical, or Process Engineering and a minimum of 20 years of oil and gas facilities experience:
* Comprehensive oil and gas facilities offshore and onshore experience including design, fabrication, commissioning, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
* 8 years minimum experience in engineering and/or operations roles within the upstream petroleum industry
* Thorough understanding of offshore and onshore oil and gas facilities systems design, construction, and operation practices.
* Familiarity with current regulatory requirements in operated regions and applicable industry standards.
* Demonstrated technical & advisory skills, including the ability to interface with other relevant disciplines (e.g., operations, subsurface engineering) and influence the work and outcomes of individuals that do not directly report to this position.
* Very strong technical skills in either Process or Mechanical Engineering
Preferred candidates will have, in addition to the above, the following experience:
* Engineering and/or operations supervisory/management experience in a petroleum production operations environment
* Demonstrated knowledge of fundamental operational processes such as Management of Change, Case To Operate, Root Cause Analysis, Equipment Maintenance Strategies, etc.
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world's largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer
29 May 2012 Central Standard Time
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Engineering jobs in Houston, TX
View similar jobs:
Electrical Assembler - 77043
Kelly Services - Houston, TX
Transducer Engineer, Process (Groeschel)
Emerson - Houston, TX
Mechanical Design Engineer - Water Treatment - Tomball, TX
Baker Hughes - Tomball, TX
Locate this job: