Mechanical Engineering Advisor - Central Engineering Job Listing at BHP Billiton in Houston, TX
Energy, Metals & Mining
Mechanical Engineering Advisor - Central Engineering
Business / Project:
Full Time Regular (USA)
US - Texas - Houston
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we're the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
The Central Engineering Mechanical Engineering Advisor is BHPB's global Subject Matter Expert (SME) regarding Mechanical Engineering. This is an individual contributor, technical role that provides:
* Direct mechanical engineering technical support, as required, to ongoing operations and projects in both the Production and Development Divisions
* Mechanical engineering technical assurance via direct review of engineering deliverables, participation in peer reviews/assists, and participation in fundamental Petroleum processes such as Management of Change and System Custodian.
* Mechanical engineering technical requirements via the development, implementation, and performance monitoring of global standards (internal and external) and global processes
* Identification of the critical skills required to perform mechanical engineering roles and the job duties and training necessary to develop those skills
* A perspective on industry technical developments in mechanical engineering and their applicability to BHPB projects/operations
* Networking capability with mechanical engineering SME's at other operators and engineering contractors
The Central Engineering Mechanical Engineering Advisor is accountable for ensuring that BHPB Petroleum mechanical engineering work is done in accordance with applicable industry and BHPB standards, to the appropriate level of detail, and that BHPB standards and requirements meet or exceed industry requirements. This role is also accountable for ensuring that BHPB mechanical engineers are fully participative in internal assurance processes (such as management of change, root cause analysis) as required. This role is also accountable for identifying the skills required to perform as a mechanical engineer and the training opportunities that allow development of those skills. Finally, this role is BHPB's point of contact to external entities regarding global mechanical engineering issues and initiatives.
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
BHPB's Leadership Model consists of the following elements:
Feedback and Recognition
The most important characteristics for this specific role are Action Orientation, Credibility, Communication, Collaboration, Accountability, and Judgment
Additional Position Specific qualities that impact overall effectiveness:
Breadth and Depth of Technical Experience
Strong Influencing Skills
Ability to Prioritize Work in a Dynamic Environment
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This role requires extensive collaboration with a wide range of BHPB personnel in different geographic locations. Successful performance in the role will require the ability to:
* Form collaborative relationships with engineering, operations, and HSE personnel in different operating environments and on capital projects
* Develop an understanding of all of BHPB's Petroleum operations, existing projects, and future projects
* Quickly and accurately determine critical engineering issues and develop (jointly, with line personnel) solutions to those issues at both existing operations and capital projects
* Execute solutions to mechanical engineering technical problems, both directly and by influencing or leading teams of BHP personnel and/or third parties
* Support and contribute to global engineering, operations, and HSE initiatives as they arise.
Specific roles and responsibilities include:
* Ensure adherence to relevant industry and BHPB Petroleum policies and practices, codes, regulations, and standards in the mechanical engineering discipline.
* Assure requisite diligence and accuracy of critical mechanical engineering deliverables
* Participate in the planning, development and implementation of BHPB Petroleum standards and processes.
* Provide direct technical support to line operations and capital projects on an as needed basis
* Provide technical support to the Operations and Maintenance and Risk Engineering Global Teams
* Develop the skill requirements for the Mechanical Engineering discipline
* Endorse recruitment of new facilities engineers prior to approvals
* Identify technical areas where a contribution can be made and influence stakeholders to accept these contributions
* Work with cross-functional disciplines such as Project Development and Production Unit engineering and operations personnel, and other functional personnel (Health Safety Environment Community; Human Resource and Information Management).
* Stay abreast of industry technical trends in the area of mechanical engineering and assess their applicability to BHPB operations.
Central Engineering Facilities Engineering Manager and Surface Engineering Manager
Production Unit Surface Engineering Managers and Surface Engineering Staff
Production Unit Operations Manager and Supervisory Staff
Development Division Project Supervisors and Surface Engineering Staff
Production and Development Division HSE Management and Staff
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
This job requires a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of 20 years of oil and gas facilities experience:
* Comprehensive oil and gas facilities offshore and onshore experience including design, fabrication, commissioning, operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
* 8 years minimum experience in engineering and/or operations roles within the upstream petroleum industry
* Thorough understanding of offshore and onshore oil and gas production facilities mechanical systems design, construction, and operation practices.
* Familiarity with current regulatory requirements in operated regions and applicable industry standards.
* Demonstrated technical & advisory skills, including the ability to interface with other relevant disciplines (e.g., operations, subsurface engineering) and influence the work and outcomes of individuals that do not directly report to this position.
Preferred candidates will have, in addition to the above, the following experience:
* Technical breadth as demonstrated by solid knowledge of other Surface Engineering disciplines, such as Process Engineering or Integrity Engineering
* Engineering and/or operations supervisory/management experience in a petroleum production operations environment
* Demonstrated knowledge of fundamental operational processes such as Management of Change, Case To Operate, Root Cause Analysis, Equipment Maintenance Strategies, etc.
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world's largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer
27 Nov 2012 Central Standard Time
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Engineering jobs in Houston, TX
View similar jobs:
Connexion Systems and Engineering - Houston, TX
Thompson Scale Company - Houston, TX
United Engineers, Inc. - Houston, TX
Locate this job: