Operations Geologist Job Listing at BHP Billiton in Houston, TX
Energy, Metals & Mining
Business / Project:
Full Time Regular (USA)
US - Texas - Houston
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we're the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
BHPB Petroleum currently operates leases in the Fayetteville, Haynesville, Eagleford, and Permian trends of the unconventional resource market, with plans to expand. Currently there are 50 rigs working on operated wells.
The Operations Geologist will work as part of a multidisciplinary team, involved in well planning with the goal of to delivering safe and efficiently executed wells, with fit for purpose formation evaluation programs. In addition, the role will work with the geosciences vendors to insure performance and compliance with BHPB procedures and policies. The job will also involve working with and giving presentations to BHPB management as applicable.
• An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
• Work in the well project team to develop formation evaluation programs and work with vendors to insure safe and effective execution and delivery of data.
• Delivery of well planning documents to the WPT leaders for distribution
• Lead Daily Well Project Team meetings to review well execution issues including steering
Work to ensure compliance with global geologic operations best practices and take part in peer-assists / reviews.
KEY DELIVERABLES / KEY DIMENSIONS
This position in Operations Geology will support the high-intensity drilling operations associated with the Eagleford play initially, with the likelihood of moving to other geographies with time. The individual will work to plan wells with the Eagleford team, generating geologic operations manuals, providing geologic input for the AFE and working to complete the AFE process, coordinating with vendors for the on-time delivery of data during drilling and it's storage within the BHPB system, management of data for distribution to partners and regulators, and liaising with the Drilling Organization during the planning and execution process.
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
• Strong Organizational and Leadership Skills
• Ability to commit to and Deliver Results on Time
• Fosters Creativity and Innovation
• Strong tactical approach to problem solving in high-pressure drilling situations. Not afraid to make decisions with incomplete data when operational
• Brings out the Best in Others
• Builds Alignment, has Excellent Influencing Skills
• High level Technical Communication Skills(oral and written)
• Cultural Sensitivity to a Global Working Environment
• Exploration Managers/Supervisors
Geosciences Function and BHPB Technical Specialists
• Joint Venture Partners
• Regulatory and Government agencies
DIRECT REPORTS (POSITIONS):
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in geosciences minimum
• A minimum of 5 years experience in the petroleum industry with 2 years in the Unconventional plays and/or additional experience in geologic operations of conventional plays.
• A working knowledge of stratigraphic interpretation methods, familiarity with correlation using well logs.
• A working knowledge of mudlogging, LWD and wireline data and experience using these together for correlation
• Highly developed organizational skills, an ability to multi-task
• Familiarity with Petrel and/or Kingdom Suite SMT is a plus
Excellent written and spoken English
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world's largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer
1 Nov 2012 Central Standard Time
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:General Scientific jobs in Houston, TX
View similar jobs:
Chemical Laboratory Technician - North Houston
Kelly Services - The Woodlands, TX
STAFF EPIDEMIOLOGIST (PART TIME)
City of Houston - Houston, TX
MICROBIOLOGIST I / DWO / VR
City of Houston - Houston, TX
Locate this job: