Principal Geologist - Western GoM Job Listing at BHP Billiton in Houston, TX
Energy, Metals & Mining
Principal Geologist - Western GoM
Business / Project:
Full Time Regular (USA)
US - Texas - Houston
BHP Billiton is all about smart technology, innovation and great talent. If you want a challenging career and a chance to explore resource opportunities as well as your ambitions, we're the company for you. Think ahead. Think BHP Billiton.
BHPB Petroleum currently operates exploration licenses globally and is involved in active and extensive exploration in these areas.
The principal geologist will work as part of a multidisciplinary team, involved in integration of data to develop, evaluate, and test play concepts within the western Gulf of Mexico. In addition, the principal geologist will be expected to actively identify and undertake assessment of new opportunities, mature prospects, and provide well site monitoring as necessary.
The job will also involve working with and giving regular presentations to BHPB technical specialists, BHPB exploration management, and any potential Joint Venture Partners.
• An overriding commitment to health, safety, environmental responsibility and sustainable development.
• Conduct detailed subsurface evaluations using 2D, 3D time and depth processed seismic data and well data.
• Integration of geological and geophysical data, sequence stratigraphy, and regional petroleum systems analyses.
• Maturation of leads and prospects from acreage capture through to drill-ready status.
• Evaluation of farm-in opportunities.
• Monitor exploration well operations.
• Work with all members of the team and specialist groups to ensure subsurface evaluations are to the highest technical standard within the time frame required of the work program.
• Work with the greater BHPB exploration community and Geoscience Function groups to ensure compliance with company standards, participate in the risking of leads and prospects, and take part in peer-assists / reviews.
• Communicate the team's technical results, conclusions and recommendations to internal management and partners.
BEHAVIOURAL & LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES
• Intellectual Firepower
• Strong Organizational and Leadership Skills
• Ability to commit to and Deliver Results on Time
• Develops Organizational Capability
• Fosters Creativity and Innovation
• Applies Strategic Business Perspective
• Brings out the Best in Others
• Sets Direction and Builds Alignment
• Excellent Influencing Skills
• High level Technical Communication Skills(oral and written)
• Cultural Sensitivity to a Global Working Environment
• GOM Exploration Team members
• Exploration Managers/Supervisors
• Geoscience Function and BHPB Technical Specialists
• Joint Venture Partners
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor's degree in geoscience minimum, Advanced degree preferred
A minimum of 20 years experience in the upstream petroleum industry, experience in the Gulf of Mexico preferable.
Highly skilled seismic interpretation and mapping skills at regional and prospect level.
Applied knowledge of deepwater depositional systems and architectures, as well as stratigraphic interpretation methods, including sequence stratigraphy.
Extensive knowledge of extensional and compressional tectonic settings, with direct experience in salt tectonics highly advantageous.
Thorough understanding of petroleum systems analysis and its application for generation of new play concepts and challenging of existing models/interpretations
Proven track record of successfully applying exploration processes from play fairway analysis to prospect maturation, probabilistic volumetric assessment, and risk assessment.
Familiarity with Landmark, Petrosys and Petrel interpretation software would be highly advantageous.
Excellent written and spoken English
THINK OF THE OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN BHP BILLITON. THINK LOCAL. THINK GLOBAL.
With 44,000 employees working in more than 100 operations in approximately 25 countries, we represent the world's largest diversified resources company. We take our commitment to the communities in which we operate and do business in very seriously, and we are committed to operating safely and sustainably.
M/F/D/V EEO/AA Employer
20 Nov 2012 Central Standard Time
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Education/Teaching jobs in Houston, TX
View similar jobs:
Teacher for Preparatory Academy
EvoSource - Fresno, Texas
Director of Alumni & Community Relations
University of Houston-Clear Lake - Houston, TX
Community Youth Assistant
Neighborhood Centers, Inc. - Bellaire, TX
Locate this job: