Marine Scheduler Job Listing at BP America Inc. in Naperville, IL
Job title Marine Scheduler
Req ID 42476BR
Job category Shipping
Sub-category Shipping Operations
Countries (State/Region) United States - Illinois
Role synopsis The Marine Scheduler role is responsible for transporting and supporting mixed xylene, paraxylene, metaxylene, orthoxylene, light and heavy inventories within Texas City, TX Decatur, AL and Cooper River, SC chemical plants. This position interacts closely with the commercial sales team as well as the product manager to coordinate marine transportation and activity to ensure proper levels of supply.
This role schedules ships, articulated tug
barges (ATBs), and barges to meet Aromatics supply and product requirements. Works closely with
3rd party transportation providers, suppliers, and BP terminals to ensure supply needs are met safely and efficiently.
Identifies potential opportunities to identify/implement improvements in the way Petrochemicals distributes its products by reviewing and re-engineering current marine processes for simplification and standardization.
Key accountabilities Coordinate the day-to-day operational activities of owned, time and voyage charter marine equipment (ships, integrated tug barges, barges) ensuring compliance with agreed charter party terms.
- Prepares and issues voyage orders including loading and discharging instructions.
-Awareness of barge/vessel loading and unloading to ensure safety requirements are followed and operations are conducted safely.
-Engages with Aromatics Commercial team to understand the business value behind decisions to assist in driving results.
-Understand commercial aspects around the logistics components of contracts and work to monetize on BP’s behalf and capture using metrics.
- Coordinate shipping requirements under Contracts of Affreightment including identifying and analyzing commercial opportunities as well as meeting all operational requirements and short notice changes.
- Liaise daily with technical superintendents, ship brokers, ship owners and port agents to ensure efficient commercial operations.
- Prioritize shipments when product is tight
and/or there are scheduling conflicts.
- Ensure that Sales and Commercial Product Manager are kept fully informed of latest ship schedules.
- Seek out sub-charter opportunities for Articulated Tug Barges (ATB’s) and barges to delivery optimal cost savings.
- Review and analyze demurrage invoices and seek opportunities for improvement
Essential Education Bachelor’s Degree
Essential experience and job requirements At least 7 years of experience within logistics or another commercial role .
- At least 2 years marine scheduling or marine operations experience.
Desirable criteria & qualifications Preferably a Bachelors in Business, Engineering, or Logistics-related field.
- Marine background with relevant experience in a marine shore-based role.
-Commercial experience with a focus on pursuing optimization/financial impact of BP’s barges and vessels.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Strong ability to manage time and pressure in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently with multiple levels of the organization, internal and external.
- Well organized with thorough attention to detail.
- Ability to think innovatively and deliver creative solutions to logistical challenges.
Additional information for internal candidates
- Ability to build and maintain relationships and networks with customers, transportation providers, and internal colleagues/clients.
- Displays strong work ethic and accountability, strong bias for action.
- Ability to work in rapidly changing environment and prioritize duties accordingly.
Relocation available Yes - Domestic (In country) only
Travel required Yes - up to 10%
Is this a part time position? No
About BP Our business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed, and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
The Petrochemicals SPU is made up of a series of winning businesses including the global Aromatics and Acetyls Business and Asia Olefins & Derivatives. With manufacturing, technology, and commercial locations worldwide, the Petrochemicals SPU is a great opportunity to work with a diverse team of committed people.
The businesses produce 3 key products: Acetic acid, Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) and Paraxylene (PX). These products are used to meet the growing needs of world for packaging, garments, furnishings, detergents, paints, and adhesives. The success of our business requires deploying best in class proprietary technology, having best in class manufacturing, and delivering commercial excellence for all of our product lines.
The Aromatics Americas BU focuses on the production and sale of PX, PTA, and Naptha Dicarboxylate Acid (NDC). Our manufacturing assets are located in Decatur, AL, Cooper River, SC, and Texas City, TX and are integrated with one of the nation’s largest refineries. The technology and commercial center in Naperville, IL, is the home of our sales, logistics, and commercial teams.
Disclaimer If you are selected for the position, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process.BP is an equal opportunity employer.
Segment Refining & Marketing
Removal Date 23-May-2013
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Other jobs in Chicago, IL
View similar jobs:
F&O Client Services Representative
J.P. Morgan - IL, Illinois
J.P. Morgan Chase - IL, Illinois
MB Underwriting Team Mgr - Mortgage Banking
Chase - IL, Illinois
Locate this job: