Product Developer (TRG Group) Job Listing at Centric Group in Saint Louis, MO
Consumer Products, Food, Beverage & Tobacco
Product Developer (TRG Group)
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Last Updated: 02/16/2013
TRG Group is a leading manufacturer of luggage, backpacks and other travel gear and accessories under the Swiss Army/Victorinox, Wenger, and under several OEM labels. TRG has established its niche in the industry by focusing on quality, innovation and attention to design details.
Our cutting-edge products are sold in more than 90 countries worldwide. We create advanced, innovative, high-quality products with distinctive, award-winning designs.
Position – Purpose:
The primary role for the Product Developer is managing and executing product goals that meet the following criteria;
• Competitive and Innovative
• Delivering on required margin and launch targets
• Maintaining the level of quality expected for the brand or LOB
Position - Responsibilities:
You will be responsible for certain deliverables within the planning, execution, and approval stages of a project. More importantly, you will be accountable for making sure that the project team is delivering on their responsibilities towards effective and well-thought through product execution. This includes, but is not limited to the following;
• Project Management - Manage and coach all project team members to deliver on their required responsibilities for each stage in the process
• Timeline Management - Managing timelines for all Design, Development, Marketing, and Purchasing areas of the project.
• Team Collaboration and Clear Communication - Manage team’s communication so it’s progressively moving forward in an effective manner. Immediately react to issues as they arise in order to not slow down the process
• BOM/Margin accuracy, review, and analysis - Understanding, planning, and maintaining required margin expectations for any given project. This includes the implementation of any needed BOM analysis to better understand the cost landscape (mock-BOM, what if’s, etc…)
• Product Review and Presentations (functionality, quality, and measurements) – Manage all phases of product reviews, most importantly the execution of features/benefits, size/weight/functional requirements, and group presentations.
• Transition process from development to commercialization – Finalizing development of the product and working closely with Asia Operations to transition what’s critically important of the product construction, craftsmanship, and functional requirements into Pilot/Production.
• Quality Assurance - Understanding the quality standards, coordinating with the QC team to test against those standards, and finalizing on products that meet the requirements of the brand/LOB.
As a Developer, you will ensure that the project team you are assigned is progressing in a timely manner and executing decisions within the three stages of the product launch process.
Specific Stage Responsibility Highlights:
• Planning Stage – Project Analysis/Finalization -
- Big Ideas/Competitive Advantage – Help define the Big Ideas” that will deliver the best innovation to the marketplace
- Innovation Opportunities – Work close with those responsible for defining the technology and innovation for your project by understanding what you will be responsible for executing
- Sourcing Direction – Work closely with the Product Development Manager to define both supplier and factory preferences for the project
- Budget (project) - Manage individual project budgeted expenses
- Material Boards/Hardware/Fabric – Working with the team to define the material direction and compiling for the purposes of the stage presentation
- Factory Possibilities/Sourcing Requirements – Communicate Project Kick-off to TRG Asia to define primary vs. secondary factories for the development of the product
• Execution Stage – Design/Development -
- Lab Dip/Sample Fabric Process – Review material color dips. Once approved, communicate sample material quantity needs to the suppliers
- Packaging Requirements – Work in conjunction with the Marketing Manager to define the packaging needs for the project. This would include any 3rd party support.
- Patent Possibilities/Legal Concerns – Work with direct report to document all ideas/concepts that have the opportunity of becoming a Patent.
- Sample Review – Work in conjunction with the Product Designer to schedule, plan, and execute well thought through product presentations for various rounds of product development
- Margin Responsibility – Fully analyze BOM’s against required weighted margins. Be aware of where adjustments need to made early in the process, so margins can be achieved
- Product Comments to Factory – Communicate open issues of product development to factories/suppliers as often as needed in order to keep projects on track
- Material Finalization – Determining final materials based on quality, price, lead-times, and meeting project strategy goals/objectives
-Testing Finalization – Ensure that all required testing has passed brand/LOB standards
- Proof Marketing Copy – Work with Marketing to review all on-product and other packaging material information to ensure that all is accurate.
- Sales/Trade Show Sample Process – Work with Sales and factories to place orders for product needed for Sales meetings and trade shows.
- Launch Preparation with Sales – Work hands-on with Sales to assist them in fully understanding the product details for their preparation in Sales meetings, trade shows, and catalog creation.
• Approval Stage – Product Approval/Pilot/Production:
- Detailed Product Approval – Send out a completed Product Approval with approved Product Approval document following a Line Close meeting (includes final margin tracking and PDS).
- Marketing/Packaging Finalized - Work close with Marketing to get the PPS document sent out to the TRG Asia office and factory leads.
- Complete Pilot Run Prep and Inspection Checklist documents and communicate them to TRG Asia Quality and Merchandising
- Review and implement any specification changes based on Pilot Run Review process
- Inspect incoming Pilot goods and bring awareness of any issues that would be important to Sales and/or the Quality team.
Other projects as assigned by direct report
• Experience/Education: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or 1-3 years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Previous experience developing soft good and framed cut-n-sew products.
• Previous experience developing and/or managing projects being produced oversees.
• Travel one to two trips to Asia annually.
• General understanding of the product construction and general sourcing process.
• Strong verbal and written skills, including meeting facilitation and presentations.
• Ability to communicate and work in a team oriented atmosphere.
• Previous experience managing project teams to ensure timelines, costing, and communications were being followed throughout a product development project cycle.
• Perform basic mathematical calculations.
• Ability to use various computer programs including, but not limited to Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Paint, and Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop.
• Must pass required background checks: criminal, credit, motor vehicle record, and drug.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Software Dev. - General/IT jobs in Saint Louis, MO
View similar jobs:
Practice Lead - Dynamic CRM for Call Centers
Aspect Software - St. Charles US, MO
Practice Lead - Dynamic CRM for Education
Aspect Software - St. Charles US, MO
Project Manager-Application Delivery
Aspect Software - St. Charles, MO
Locate this job: