Locate this job
Business Unit Description:
Established in 1996, INTRIA is a Canadian leader in financial services processing. Performing 1.4 billion item processing tasks annually, INTRIA serves a wide range of clients in the financial, utility, and retail sectors. INTRIA offers a comprehensive suite of integrated image-based services including currency management, remittance processing, and cheque clearing.
Relevant Job Criteria:
- There is a regular full time position available.
- Work hours: 7am to 6pm Monday to Friday, and between 8am to 6pm Sunday.
- There is an expectation that the successful incumbent will need to work some Sunday shifts over the 5 day work week.
The Senior Supervisor, Operations is accountable for providing leadership and management of staff members within a medium/moderately complex operational unit, as defined in the standard operating guidelines, in order to achieve high performance levels and outstanding customer service. The incumbent will oversee direct and in-direct reports for an operational unit with multiple processes requiring different procedures with varied complexity. Manage all escalated issues based on knowledge, experience and procedures to identify root cause and make sound decisions ensuring resolution of more complex issues/problems. Influence and communicate to other departments for improved results on behalf of senior management. Manage employee development and operational effectiveness, implementation of strategic initiatives, ongoing communication and assisting business partners.
1. Provide leadership and ongoing employee development to staff within operating unit:
• Manage and administer Performance Management & Measurement Process (e.g. develop and communicate productivity targets/results, conduct interim and annual reviews) to ensure Individual Development Plans are in place and developmental opportunities are identified for all direct reports
• Monitor, evaluate and manage day-to-day employee performance to identify gaps and develop action plans to achieve optimum performance results (e.g. Performance Improvement Plan, Terminations)
• Lead, motivate, mentor and guide staff providing regular coaching and feedback to ensure employees are capable of performing at or developing to the necessary standards; provide industry specific expertise to resolve complex issues and develop problem-solving capability within all team members
• Maintain focus on employee satisfaction levels and take corrective action to ensure all human resources decisions are adhered to and all issues are addressed
• Identify training needs for staff and ensure employees are trained, cross-trained and knowledgeable about products, services, policies, processes and procedures to maintain proficiency on the job
• Anticipate staffing needs for the department; manage staffing activities with Resourcing to interview, make hiring decisions, complete documentation and ensure orientation of new employees
• Promote CIBC’s Achievers Rewards and Recognition Program communicating program structure and criteria and recognizing high performing employees who exceed expectations
• Initiate team-building activities with direct reports (e.g. huddles, team meetings) to actively engage staff, encourage team spirit and create a positive employee experience to build team capability
2. Manage day-to-day operation / production activities including resource allocation, budgeting, change integration, system operation and process improvement in the delivery of services:
• Plan and schedule the daily activities of staff including coverage for holidays, absentees and peak work periods to ensure Service Level Agreements are met or exceeded with minimal overtime
• Manage the unit costs against pre-established budget (e.g. AIP, salary administration, FTE resource allocation, overtime, daily expense costs) and forecasting for all direct reports to ensure operational efficiency and profitability
• Manage work volumes to meet deliverable standards with minimal overtime and monitor, delegate and distribute workload to ensure efficient and equitable workflow
• Prepare monthly variance explanations; provide LE assistance and payroll/Peoplesoft administration support (e.g. input, balancing, verification, production reporting); participate and/or take ownership in some areas of fiscal year financial planning to ensure profitability
• Review established processes regularly to ensure their validity/effectiveness; perform root cause analysis to identify opportunities for improving control processes and procedural adherence and make recommendations to support continuous improvement, cost containment and operational efficiencies
3. Perform and resolve difficult or complex departmental procedures or problems, including appropriate inter-departmental or external communications to ensure client satisfaction:
• Establish and maintain a communication and escalation process to respond to issues reported by customers, vendors, internal and external business partners
• Manage all escalated issues based on knowledge, experience and procedures; make sound decisions to ensure resolution of issues/problems prior to escalating to senior management
• Ensure the consistent delivery of high quality service through service excellence principles to meet or exceed client expectations and service standards
• Ensure an appropriate communication process is in place to facilitate sharing of information (e.g. ensure service level expectations are clearly articulated/attained, keep team updated on business goals, strategies, performance objectives, current issue/concerns and new procedures or changes)
• Lead regular team meetings in order to resolve issues and concerns and communicate as required
• Provide consultative services to internal business partners; liaise with and elicit cooperation from other departments within Global Operations to enhance service delivery
4. Manage risk within department and ensure compliance to policies, procedures and controls to minimize losses and support adherence to completeness and accuracy:
• Ensure business unit activities are within compliance by completing random spot checks and testing
• Identify, anticipate and detect potential problems and take accountability for making informed, independent decisions to find alternative solutions to eliminate any potential risk
• Review and complete Quarterly Key Compliance Reports to ensure documented procedures, processes and policies are followed; analyze trends, determine root cause and take appropriate action to resolve issues/concerns ensuring Corporate Governance approval is received as required
• Review tracking on a daily, weekly or monthly basis (e.g. productivity tracking) to ensure accurate counts and reflect the financial result by reducing revenue leakage
• Ensure safety and security of premises and buildings for protection of CIBC assets
5. Participate in planning and successful implementation of strategic initiatives:
• Collaborate with senior management in developing an organizational structure that will provide client service excellence in rapidly evolving changing organization (e.g. organizational planning)
• Participate in committees as a Subject Matter Expert and collaborate with various departments to drive change; oversee implementation of assigned initiatives and manage change process within own operating unit to ensure success
• Work with Leadership Team to implement Global Operations’ strategies and service excellence principles to enhance client satisfaction results
• Regular contact with internal CIBC employees, team and departments at all levels throughout organization and up to Sr. Director / Executive levels to provide/obtain information, respond to questions, resolve issues and ensure Service Level Agreements are met or exceeded
• Regular contact with external Vendors, Service Providers, Financial Institutions, Fund Companies (e.g. Iron Mountain, IBM, Pitney Bowes, CDS, TSE, VSE, DTC, ADP, Fundserv, DTC, CDS) to obtain/provide information and resolve complex issues/concerns
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL REQUIREMENTS
• 2 – 5 years of related work experience within Financial Services industry with previous Supervisory and/or People Management experience
• Specialized knowledge of department policies and procedures, and a wide knowledge of Branch/CIBC policies, products and systems, with the ability to determine potential impact of decisions on other areas
• Knowledge of internal CIBC systems and applications specific to own unit (e.g. COINS, COLT, Excalibur, ADP, IMF, ACBS)
• Ability to coach in an environment of continuous change and learning
• Ability to understand the corporate vision and translate it into action
• Proven ability to lead/motivate a highly skilled team faced with significant change and increasing service expectations
• Strong ability to analyze situations, diagnose problems, develop and implement solutions, often within narrow time frames
• Ability to work with a variety of people and facilitate others in problem solving
• Knowledge of PC software packages (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook)
• Proven ability to create and maintain a highly motivated and effective work environment focusing on customer and service excellence and ability to facilitate the building of strong and cohesive teams
• Ability to sustain strong working relationships with both the CIBC network and external clients
• Ability to develop, modify or implement operational procedures to increase productivity and efficiency
• Compliance with all CIBC regulatory training and ensure these programs and policies are applied consistently across the business. The incumbent is personally responsible for compliance with all such regulatory and governance programs
• Normal office environment (desks, PC, cubicles, etc.)
• Production environment (machines, noise, forklifts, etc.)
• Warehouse environment (racking systems, box/ product storage, etc.)
• May be required to work outside of regularly scheduled shift to meet deadlines
• Stressful conditions may be experienced due to peak volumes, seasonal influences and/or deadlines
• Open environment, constant interruptions, high noise level, broken concentration etc
• High noise environment which requires hearing protection be worn by employees
• Working with clients on the phone which requires the use of a headset
• Typically sitting at a desk or table for long periods of time
• Typically standing or walking for long periods of time
• Repetitive wrist, hand and/ or finger movement
• Light physical activity, such as kneeling, lifting and bending may be required
• May be required to attend off-site meetings
• Sustained visual concentration
• Business travel
Job related competencies
• Knowledge of Organization: Knowledge of organization's vision, structure, culture, philosophy, operating principles, values, and code of ethics. Aligns own department's plans with enterprise mission and vision. Promotes the rationale and organizing principles of organization's structure.
• Business Ethics: Knowledge of practices, behaviours, applicable laws, rules, and regulations governing proper business conduct. Applies policies and procedures designed to ensure compliance with ethical code.
• Risk Management: Knowledge of process, tools and techniques for assessing and controlling an organization's exposure to risks of various kinds. Identifies common technology, security, or financial risks relevant to own function or unit.
• Problem Solving: Knowledge of approaches, tools, techniques for recognizing, anticipating, and resolving organizational, operational or process problems. Uses varying problem-solving approaches and techniques as appropriate. Develops successful resolutions to critical or wide-impact problems.
• Effective Communications: Ability to effectively transmit, receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors, tools and techniques. Communicates well downward, upward, and outward.
• Coaching: Ability to encourage, motivate, and guide individuals or teams in learning and improving effectiveness. Discusses alternative techniques for diagnosing and coaching individuals and teams.
• Leadership: Ability to work with a group to set its objectives and agenda, generate allegiance to those objectives, and guide and motivate their achievement. Delegates, coordinates, and motivates the team effectively to achieve results. Translates vision into specific functional or departmental initiatives.
• Managing Multiple Priorities: Ability to manage multiple concurrent objectives, projects, groups, or activities, making effective judgments as to prioritizing and time allocation. Seeks to understand how current assignments contribute to organization's goals and priorities.
• Performance Management: Ability to apply organization's performance management system, practices, and tools to developing and improving individual, team, and organizational performance. Observes individual performance and provides fair and objective feedback.
• Quality Management: Knowledge of quality management methods, tools, and techniques used to create and support an environment that meets the needs of the organization. Utilizes quality indicators relevant to own unit or function.
• Teamwork & Partnering
• Building Trust
• Analytic / Systematic Thinking
• Developing Others
Apply on company website