Apply on Company Website
The Director, Development Communications is responsible for all aspects of development communications at The Methodist Hospital Foundation (TMHF). Working in partnership with the Senior Vice President (SVP) and Vice President (VP), the Director will shape the overall position and case for support for The Methodist Hospital System (TMHS) and, from that, work with development officers, faculty, physicians and system executives to create compelling, strategic communications for priority programs throughout TMHS. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the creation and/or oversight of the following communication vehicles ' principal and major gift proposals, cases for support, annual fund letters and collateral, brochures, magazines, newsletters, board and advisory committee materials, acknowledgement letters, stewardship reports, web/social media/electronic communications, and on occasion, scripting and PowerPoint presentations for executives and volunteer leaders.
The Director will work collaboratively and effectively with staff across the development, public relations, communications, marketing and web functions to ensure that the philanthropic message is present and consistent in all material and communications, both internally and externally, to promote Foundation goals. Will directly oversee 3-6 development writers, and manage the day-to-day writing for TMHF, including mentoring and coordinating development writers and contract writers, on a project-by-project basis. Director will serve as the final editor and coordinator of all writing and communications for TMHF. Position is responsible for monitoring strategic writing plan for the Foundation and reporting progress to leadership. In addition to developing a library of written materials related to fundraising priorities, position is responsible for updating materials in a systematic way, ensuring accuracy of information as well as ensuring department staff has access and knowledge of these documents. Supports TMHF with writing donor stewardship reports demonstrating the impact of philanthropic contributions and works with Stewardship Compliance to meet determined deadlines.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supports TMHF leadership with collaborative proposal development and cases for support for TMHS highest fundraising priorities.
- Acts as senior communications/writer for fundraising at The Methodist Hospital and supports SVP/VP proposal development. It is expected that this individual will carry a heavy writing portfolio.
- Manages the process for the development of case for support documents and development proposals
- Team supports compliance with stewardship report writing needs including end of the year reports for donor endowments and annual reports,
- Leverages information within the department (marketing and PR) to integrate into proposals, cases for support and stewardship correspondence and support. Serves as the final editor and coordinator of all writing and communications for TMHF ensuring quality and brand standards.
- Ensures log of philanthropic opportunities is current and accessible as well as a writing calendar of all activities to ensure deadlines are met in a timely manner. Regularly provides leadership with proposal status log.
- Ensures that proposal data is maintained in Raiser's Edge through actions to support the Stewardship Calendar, and TMHF writing calendar reports.
- Serves as manager, mentor and as an example to staff writers.
- May be assigned other writing responsibilities as defined by TMHF Leadership.
- Frequent travel to all five hospitals within TMH System.
- Demonstrates the components of the I CARE Values statement
- Complies with TMHS and department policies
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports minor accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace
- Performs other duties as assigned
Four-year college degree required in English, communications, or related field with minimum of 5-10 years experience in creative writing and editing.
Job requires 10+ years experience in writing and developing strong cases for support for lay audiences. Experience in the healthcare and/or education fundraising proposal development preferred. Demonstrated results in grant/proposal writing and editing. Demonstrated management experience. Computer skills also required.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The manager must be able to manage a variety of projects for various senior managers at any given time. Requires excellent written and communication skills, computer skills required.
Please see the activity checklist (final page) for physical work requirements.
The communications position will require weekly travel to The Methodist Hospital (Texas Medical Center) and its network affiliates (Northwest Houston, Sugar Land, and Baytown).