Apply on Company Website
Senior Software Engineer - JAVA-040477 Description Job Summary:
Defines technology system scope, objectives, and requirements, and is a top-level technical expert in development skills capable of tuning programs for processing efficiency. Have the capacity to work with other team leads towards common project goals. Software development approach will primarily be in an iterative or agile methodology. Applicant must be proficient at multi-tasking and learning new technologies on the fly. The applicant will primarily work in a team room environment. Projects will focus very broadly within the Crew business area including messaging, vendor software, custom software, and high-availability systems. Information Technology (IT) Applications Development with responsibilities for new development and existing systems support. Primary Activities and Responsibilities:
- Create system designs to facilitate the inter-operability of large-scale business systems.
- Provide impact analysis for changes to programs and systems.
- Research, analyze, and define business solutions of large systems scope and complexity. Prepare detailed Specifications for large complex projects and design solutions for complex business problems.
- Code, debug, test and support utilities, tools, and frameworks to support the application development process.
- Document test cases, expected test results, test data requirements, and collaborate with testing teams and business partners to resolve testing problems.
- Provide leadership and technical direction to team members and monitor the deliverables of the technical team when called upon.
- Serve as technical point of contact for business partners and other technology areas; and perform project management tasks as needed.
- Work collaboratively with a team to resolve production problems.
- Rotate production support responsibilities.
- Support disaster recovery activities.
- Design and deploy reusable services.
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
Equivalent Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution required in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, or related major field of study
- 5 or more years of experience required in Information Systems/Technology (IS/IT), including 5 or more years experience required in J2EE development AND 3 or more years experience required in PL/SQL development
Preferred Qualifications In addition to meeting the above qualifications, any of the following are preferred:
- High school diploma/GED or Associates degree from an accredited institution required
- 7 or more years of experience required in Transportation, Logistics, or Rail Operations IS/IT project
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Information Systems/Technology
- 7 or more years of experience in Transportation, Logistics, or Rail Operations IS/IT projects
- Knowledge of multiple business functional / technical areas
- Knowledge of a wide range of technical systems or expertise in a more narrow range
- Knowledge of Rational Application Developer (Websphere) applications
- Java skills (Java, J2EE, Object oriented design development, Design patterns)
- Web Development skills (CSS - Content Style Sheets, AJAX, JSP - Java Server Pages, JSF - Java Server Faces, Rich Faces, Prime Faces)
- Source Control skills (Source Check in / Check out, Application build processes, Rational ClearCase, Streams)
- Messaging skills (Publish / Subscribe messaging architecture, IBM MQ messaging, SOA - Service Oriented Architecture, Web Services, XML)
- Relational Database skills (Relational table design, SQL development, JDBC connectivity, ODBC connectivity)
- Oracle Database skills (Oracle PL/SQL, Oracle stored procedures, Toad for Oracle, Oracle OCI connectivity, Triggers, Views)
- UNIX/Linux skills ( Navigating a UNIX or Linux OS, UNIX/Linux shell, Writing shell scripts, UNIX/Linux tools like VI, grep, ssh, etc.)
- Microsoft Office skills (i.e., Visio)
- Ability to use multiple tools and techniques to facilitate the design, development, and integration of business systems
- Ability to develop increasingly complex business systems
- Ability to contingency plan, analyze systems for efficiencies, and develop test case scenarios
- Ability to communicate effectively (both written and orally) with all levels of audiences
The CSX Competency Framework is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following competencies: analyze issues and make effective decisions, advance the business, engage, coach, and build a diverse workforce, build partnerships, improve service quality and processes, execute effectively, demonstrate personal leadership, and demonstrate functional and technical agility. Job Requirements:
- 5% travel required.
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule (i.e., non-standard workweek)
- Work hours include rotating on-call responsibilities which may be on weekends or outside standard work hours
- May be required to travel to Business Continuity site in support of real or test Disaster Recovery exercises.
- The applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete a background check and drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position.
Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers, and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers, and the communities. Company Profile:
CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia, and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods. CSX Technology provides a wide range of information technology applications. Applications encompass day-to-day processing including freight scheduling, tracking, and monitoring, as well as more comprehensive functions such as data resource management, system architecture, and network management. CSX Technology is headquartered in Jacksonville, FL. Closing Statement:
At CSX two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster.
Primary Location : United States-FL-Jacksonville Relocation Available :Yes Tax Status: Railroad Retirement Overtime Status : Exempt Closing Date : Oct 8, 2014, 8:59:00 PM Number of Openings : 1 Developing a pool of qualified candidates to fill future vacancies