Apply on Company Website
Shift Plant Superintendent-040736 Description Job Summary: Oversees all safety, quality, and production in a Plant with 24/7 responsibility. Leads, directs, and executes servicing, repair, and preventative maintenance of locomotives and equipment. Manages self and others assertively ensuring compliance with all federal, company, and local rules and regulations. Primary Activities and Responsibilities:
- Execute and communicate the safety plan outlined by the Mechanical Department, Shop Management, and Safety Committees.
- Facilitate thorough safety and job briefings to promote safe practices and proper procedures for completing assigned tasks.
- Conduct safety observations and operational tests to ensure compliance.
- Eliminate, control, and communicate hazards and safety issues within the shop elevating for resolution as necessary.
- Manage the servicing, repair, and preventative maintenance of locomotives.
- Ensure compliance with Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and CSX rules and regulations.
- Manage manpower and facility resource utilization efficiently and effectively.
- Coach, develop, and train others to achieve desirable results.
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager.
Qualifications Minimum Qualifications:
- High School diploma/GED required
- 3 or more years of supervisory experience in Transportation, Logistics, Rail Operations, Skilled Trades (building/construction, electrical, mechanical), Manufacturing or the Military
Preferred Qualifications In addition to meeting the above qualifications, any of the following are preferred:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited institution in Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or Industrial Engineering
- 5 or more years of supervisory experience in Transportation, Logistics, Rail Operations, Skilled Trades (building/construction, electrical, mechanical), Manufacturing, or the Military
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) regulatory standards
- Microsoft Office skills
- Railroad industry knowledge
- Knowledge of basic mechanical concepts
- Knowledge of financial concepts
Competencies: The CSX Competency Framework is the foundation of our Talent Strategy and is what drives CSX performance. CSX accordingly selects and develops talent based on each of the following competencies: analyze issues and make effective decisions, advance the business, engage, coach, and build a diverse workforce, build partnerships, improve service quality and processes, execute effectively, demonstrate personal leadership, and demonstrate functional and technical agility. Job Requirements:
- 10% travel required.
- Wear protective equipment such as welding shields, hard hat, hearing protection, steel-toe boots, work boots, safety vest, face shield and safety glasses.
- Work hours may vary in length and schedule. Work hours may include a nonstandard workweek and various shift work.
- Work hours may include on call 7 days a week, 24 hours per day, with extended periods of time away from home.
- Need to be available to report to work with two-hour advance notice.
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol.
- The applicant selected for this position may be required to successfully complete a background check and physical including a drug test. Passing results must be received prior to start date in new position.
- Work inside an office environment.
- Work outside in all weather conditions.
- Work with equipment that intensifies the heat factor.
- Work with hazardous materials on an occasional basis.
Safety Commitment: Safety is a way of life at CSX, encompassing every aspect of company operations. Guided by a policy of ensuring the safety of our employees, our customers, and the communities we serve, CSX works relentlessly to prevent accidents and injuries. Not only is it the right thing to do, but when a company puts safety first, everyone benefits: the employees and their families, the customers, and the communities. Company Profile: CSX Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Jacksonville, FL, is a multi-modal freight transportation company serving customers across North America. Through its primary subsidiary, CSX operates the largest railroad in the eastern United States with operations in 23 states, the District of Columbia, and two Canadian provinces. CSX also includes an integrated intermodal company which serves customers with its own truck and terminal operations as well as a dedicated domestic container fleet. Other CSX subsidiaries provide technology and real estate support to the company. These subsidiaries combine to allow CSX to deliver efficient freight alternatives to customers in a variety of industries, including coal, chemicals, automobiles, metals, agricultural and forest products, food and consumer goods. CSX Transportation (CSXT) is the largest company in the CSX family employing approximately 30,000 management and union employees. CSXT's primary focus is the operation, maintenance, and management of the largest railroad in the eastern United States. Closing Statement: At CSX two of the company's core values are People Make The Difference and Safety Is A Way of Life. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible. CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Click here to view the EEO is Law poster.
Primary Location : United States-NY-SELKIRK Relocation Available :Yes Tax Status: Railroad Retirement Overtime Status : Exempt Closing Date : Sep 26, 2014, 8:59:00 PM Number of Openings : 1