Principal Engineer - ESO Boiler Tube Failure Engineer Job Listing at DTE Energy in Detroit, MI (Job ID dteenergytaleo-03817&lang=en)
Title: Principal Engineer - ESO Boiler Tube Failure Engineer
Location: Michigan-Southeast Michigan-Detroit
Advanced-Level engineer who provides technical direction and management in the areas of engineering or scientific design, testing, problem solving, and technical support for large or complex projects. Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering or scientific principles and practices in broad areas of assignments. Makes decisions independently on engineering or scientific problems and methods, and represents the organization to resolve important issues. Develops solutions independently and provides recommendations. Maintains liaison with individuals and units within or outside the organization, with responsibility for acting independently on technical matters. Directs, coordinates, and reviews the work of a small group of professionals.
Typical assignments may include, but are not limited to:
- As a member of the corporate BTFR (boiler tube failure reduction) team, develop and plan the scope of work during scheduled outages, provide technical support for capital projects (including development of equipment and erection specifications), and identify the need for boiler component replacement.
- Meet regularly with established plant BTFR teams to review failures, root causes, establish annual goals, review and update forced outage inspection plans and corrective action plans. Provide training and direction to plant BTFR Teams.
- Use of a web based database (AWARE) to document tube failures and attach relevant information including metallurgical, welding reports, pictures, thickness readings, etc.
- Weekly update of a BTFR 4-block for each of the plants which include the percent ROF due to tube leaks, failure mechanisms, their location for the last 52 weeks and Year to Date.
- Review boiler operation and soot blowing processes and recommend criteria to minimize or eliminate the effect of boiler tube failure mechanisms (erosion, corrosion, creep, fatigue, etc.).
- Maintain inspection plans for each of the boilers. Each plan includes drawings, soot blower ID number and location, tube material information, what to inspect for in each of the floors/areas and pictures of typical failure mechanisms/ failed tubes.
- Maintain boiler maps showing failure mechanisms and detailing wastage rates, etc
- Coordinate and lead the in-house inspections of boilers during scheduled outages.
- Assist plant personnel with boiler inspections during forced outages, and lead the determination of root cause of failure(s) and the development of short-term and long-term repair plans.
- Document inspections using a standardized inspection report throughout the fleet, which includes item priority, type of damage, recommended repairs, complete tube material information and location in the boiler, pictures and additional notes. Engineers and boilermakers will review the report and agree on item prioritization and most appropriate repair methods.
- Coordinate annual seminar on failure mechanisms, their root causes, best repair and operating practices and how actions by engineers, operation and maintenance personnel can affect overall reliability.
- Assist each plant BTFR team with establishment of goals for the year (with defined target dates).
- Applies intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering and scientific principles and practices in broad areas of assignments
- Assist in the development and execution of large or complex engineering projects
- Develop new or improved techniques and procedures
- Keep up to date on current and developing technology and make recommendations that will benefit company goals
- Makes recommendations and presentations to management
- Manages outside supplier services including the preparation of requests for quote, bid evaluations, and contract oversight
- Provides expertise on the application of company codes and standards
- Provides leadership, work direction, training, and technical expertise
- Provides technical and budget direction and coordination for minor and low impact projects
- Recommend and implement solutions to complex problems involving the engineering, science, design, operation, and maintenance of company assets
- Support presentations to other personnel and management
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent discipline
- Ten years of job-related experience in fossil fired power plants
- Experience with boilers, boiler operation, and boiler tube failure program preferred
- Advanced studies in related discipline are preferred
- Knowledge of applicable industry standards of national organizations
- Ability to apply and interpret industry codes and standards in related discipline
- Computer Skills: Proficiency in computer applications applicable to specific work field/discipline
- Ability to give presentations, manage multiple projects, train and mentor others
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with people at all levels both within and outside the company
- Knowledge of applications, equipment, and use of systems specific to work field or discipline
About DTE Energy
DTE Energy is a Fortune 500 company based in Detroit, MI. We are a diversified energy company, involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. Our operating units include Detroit Edison, an electric utility serving 2.2 million customers in Southeastern Michigan, MichCon, a natural gas utility serving 1.3 million customers in Michigan and other non-utility, energy businesses focused on coal and gas mid-stream services, power and industrial projects, unconventional gas production and energy trading. Information about DTE Energy is available athttp://www.dteenergy.com
DTE Energy is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Education/Teaching jobs in Detroit, MI
View similar jobs:
HEA NCLEX RN Faculty PT Metro Detroit
Kaplan - Detroit, MI
MCAT INSTRUCTOR- Windsor
Kaplan - Windsor, ON
ITT Educational Services, Inc. - Dearborn, MI
Locate this job: