Apply on Company Website
Description The Front End Engineering team is part of the Workplace Investing (WI) Technology unit. Our team is responsible for new and enhanced design and development of application areas across WI. Some of our primary focus areas include: the NetBenefits application, Custom Client Portals, and WI Mobile, providing technical solutions for Fidelitys external and internal customers. As a Principal Software Engineer Developer, you will be focus on front end technologies, working directly with both technical and business stakeholders to translate a vision and designs into sustainable business solutions. You will be responsible for the leadership of complex software applications, conduct studies, analyze and recommend changes in project development policies, procedures, best practices and strategies to the front end development team. Primary Responsibilities
- Major oversight of all front end, client side development activities. Responsible for deployment and delivery to meet budget, scope and timeline goals.
- Lead technical design and develop applications on complex, major projects and subsystems. Review and advise junior team members on technical designs.
- Work with business sponsor to understand requirements and then develop solutions.
- Act as a liaison between the business requestor and creative teams to produce solutions.
- Partner with Design, QA and Site Management Teams to see content through design and final launch
- Ensure code is maintainable, scalable, built for ease of use, and performs optimally.
- Experience developing and testing across multiple browsers and platforms.
- Recommend and govern development best practices to deliver high quality content sites with good customer experience.
- Perform quality checks and code reviews.
- Troubleshoot problems and work with peer teams to resolve.
- Define and implement application level architecture. Participate in architecture design teams, and develop original and creative technical solutions. Provides technical evaluations for product capabilities.
- Provides estimates and feasibility of features. Work with project managers to plan projects and coordinate development activities
- Recommend development testing tools and methodologies; partner with QA to review and validate test plans.
- Responsible for post-installation issues and problem solving. Provides application support for key applications; may serve as on call resources to support the organizations service and escalation model.
- May provide technical leadership, mentoring and be accountable for a small team of software developers, onshore and offshore.
Qualifications Education and Experience
Skills and Knowledge
- BS degree in IT or related discipline area with 10 years of experience in the software development space, at least 5 as a development team lead with extensive technical delivery experience in front end development
- Experience in web facing technology delivery, within the financial services industry preferred
- Experience in leadership/influence and collaboration in a matrix-managed environment, and across multiple and diverse groups
- Proven strong experience of software processes, development lifecycle methodologies such as Agile, across complex technology initiatives
- Strong understanding of software lifecycle, including waterfall and agile methodologies
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to solve problems and formulate recommendations
- Ability to work effectively in global team distributed across geographic locations: North Carolina, New England, India, China
- Strong collaboration, communication and business relationship skills and experience with mid-large project team
- Strong written, presentation, problem solving and facilitation skills, motivated, self-directed, results oriented
- Time management skills and ability to meet deadlines while handling multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate technical issues to a non-technical audience
Technical Skills - Preferred
- Mobile Web experience with HTML5, CSS3 and popular frameworks
- Progressive Enhancement / Graceful Degradation /Responsive Web Design
- Cross-Browser / Cross-Platform Development
- Document Object Model (DOM)
- Cross-Browser Bugs and Inconsistencies (primarily IE6-8)
- Data Formats (e.g. JSON, XML)
- Sense of ownership and commitment to the user experience
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle
- Debugging Tools (Firebug, etc)
- CSS Grids , CSS Frameworks / Resets
- jQuery Mobile, Sencha, PhoneGap, AppMobi a plus
- Website Speed / Performance
- CSS Pre-Processors (LESS / Sass)
- Microdata / Microformats
- HTML5/CSS3 Polyfills
- Internationalization / Localization
- Image Editing Tools (Photoshop, Fireworks, etc.)
- SEO Basics
Fidelity Investments is one of the worlds largest providers of financial services. Founded in 1946, the firm is a leading provider of investment management, retirement planning, portfolio guidance, brokerage, benefits outsourcing and many other financial products and services to more than 20 million individuals and institutions, as well as through 5,000 financial intermediary firms. For more information about Fidelity Investments, visit http://www.fidelity.com/ .