kate spade new york - technical designer Job Listing at Fifth & Pacific Companies in New York, NY (Job ID lizclaiborne-16018)
Consumer Products, Retail
kate spade new york - technical designer
Job ID 16018
Country – State – City US-NY-New York
Posted Date 4/25/2013
Category Design - Technical
Pos. Type Full Time
Apply for this job:
Your application choices are:
* Apply for this jobonline
Fifth & Pacific Companies Inc. is an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action Employer (M/F/D/V) and is committed to diversity in its workplace.
More information about this job:
kate spade new york draws women into a world that's culturally curious, intellectually playful, quick-witted and strong. our graceful, exuberant approach to the everyday is evident in all of our product: handbags and clothing, jewelry, shoes, stationery, eyewear, baby, fragrance, tabletop, bedding and gifts.
we have over 45 retail shops and 40 outlet stores across the united states; 94 shops internationally, and our colorful products are sold in more than 400 doors worldwide in every time zone. whether in san francisco, sao paulo or shanghai, our shops are always warm and inviting. we help women express their personal style with charm and a dash of rebellion – she lives her life colorfully.
welcome to the world of kate spade new york!
general purpose of the position:
the technical designer is responsible for assisting the design team in all aspects of the design process and providing support as needed. he or she will be responsible for working with the design and pd teams to meet deadlines for creating and passing product specs for all stages of development - concept through production.
• facilitate the transition of styles from design concept / first prototype to a final, production-ready sample.
• execute design and fit intent into bulk production while maintaining high quality standards.
• collaborate with business partners to gain clear direction and consensus of fit intent; ensure size and fit consistency within the brand and across product categories.
• complete design specification package, including: flat sketch with measurements, construction details, measurement specifications with appropriate tolerances and any predefined performance standards.
• manage and facilitate the communication of all information necessary to create garment, including: boms, graphics and placements.
• develop technical specifications and communicate fit to vendors / factories for corrections and approvals.
• support business partners on creation of a style by establishing the initial block spec and construction detail.
• ensure products are developed in a manner consistent with established fit and quality standards, manufacturer capabilities and cost specifications.
• identify potential production, quality and costing issues and make recommendations to ensure brand integrity.
• analyze garments to determine compliance of spec, construction, and fit intent.
• manage and facilitate fit session on live model and / or mannequin and take ownership of specific product(s).
• make appropriate fit and construction adjustments with factories as required to ensure integrity of design-approved prototypes while monitoring quality and targeted price.
• manage the sample development process and ensure seasonal deadlines are met; support the t&a calendar objectives.
• collaborate and develop close working relationships with design, r&d, merchandising, production, qa, sourcing offices and vendors to ensure the quality, delivery and business practices are achieved and upheld.
• foster open communication and a team environment with all business partners; receive constructive feedback professionally.
• track and manage workflow and workload for own product and ensure product areas are maintained.
• perform other duties as required.
• bachelor's degree in fashion - apparel/textile design, manufacturing, product development, merchandising, or a related field.
• proficiency in ms word, excel, outlook, micrografix, illustrator, photoshop, adobe illustrator
• 5+ years work experience in the fashion industry including technical design and / or patternmaking with construction experience and full knowledge of total production timeline. other knowledge should include an understanding of grading, costing of garments, textiles, garment testing, draping and fitting.
• thorough understanding of the design & development process from inception through production.
• knowledge of garment construction standards and manufacturing methods and textiles and interlinings and how they interact with the cutting and sewing of a garment.
• ability to properly measure garments according to manual standards.
• strong design, prototyping, and research skills.
• attention to detail, initiative, organization and strong verbal and written communication skills.
• ability to multi-task, proactively trouble shoot, problem solve, and the ability to effectively influence.
• strong pattern making and draping knowledge is required.
• willingness to travel.
• organized, accurate and articulate
• prior experience managing a team of direct reports
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Software Dev. - General/IT jobs in New York, NY
View similar jobs:
Senior Database Developer
J.P. Morgan - NY, New York
Corporate - Model Risk and Development - Associate
J.P. Morgan Chase - NY, New York
Executive Director - Business Intelligence and Client Analytics Tech Lead
J.P. Morgan - NY, New York
Locate this job: