Director, New Product Development Engineering Job Listing at Fisher Scientific in Rochester, NY
Electronics & Misc. Tech., Hospital / Healthcare
Director, New Product Development Engineering
Job ID: DC20131601-95548
Job Type Full-time
Location United States - New York - Rochester
Job Level Director
Posting date: January 17, 2013
The New Product Development Engineering Director role is a global leadership position that drives new product revenue through the implementation of innovative products and services. Based at our Rochester, NY facility, the candidate will report into the General Manager and join the leadership team for the Labware & Specialty Plastics business unit serving customers in the Life Sciences and Medical Device industries. This newly created position will lead the product development engineering team and assume responsibility for the global new product development staged gate process. The position also has significant responsibilities for sustaining engineering projects. Project management duties include the prioritization and assignment of resources for all assigned engineering projects, as well as delivering projects on time and on budget.
The successful candidate will have experience managing the product development staged gate process using effective project management tools and processes. Leadership and change management skills are required to assess and improve existing processes and outcomes. This is a challenging, multi-faceted global role with an opportunity to drive a large system change.
* Manages development engineering and project management team to bring new products to market on time, on budget.
* Establish and manage Project Management Office (PMO) for global business unit specific to NPD
* Drives development, training and adoption of best practice project management processes and tools working closely with Division level management.
* Accountable for development of robust project planning with clear prioritization and accurate allocation of resources
* Implements rigorous project reviews, risk assessment, and contingency plans to minimize project risks as part of the NPD process
* Drives organizational discipline around analysis of project risk, product risk, and manufacturing process risk and mitigation analysis, as part of the NPD process
* Coordinates with Director, Global Manufacturing Project Engineering to resource key project initiatives and support global CapEx budgeting.
* Implements improvements to product development process in coordination with the Division. Maintains procedures and documentation related to the process.
* Works closely with Business Directors to prioritize projects that are in line with company goals and objectives.
* Establishes and maintains robust verification and validation of Accountable for NPD team to deliver and validate new materials, molds, machines, equipment, components, processes and products prior to release to manufacturing.
* Leads team to investigate and evaluate new engineering technologies and materials to remain innovative and competitive in product design and cost.
* Provides oversight to manage key partnerships with suppliers for materials, machines, molds, and equipment.
* Accountable for sustaining product engineering. (Product design changes- materials, components.)
* Accountable for creating and maintaining documentation for products, processes, materials and processes including product structure, molds and tooling, mold specifications (Drawings, BOM, routings, specification sheets, and other related technical documentation.)
* Accountable for ISO 9001 and ISO 13485 audits related to the new product development processes.
* Develops and manages department budget.
* Manages the performance and career development of the direct staff.
* Bachelor’s degree required, studies in a technical discipline: Mechanical Engineering, Plastics Engineering or similar strongly preferred. An MBA is desirable.
* 10+ years relevant work experience required
* 5+ years managing and developing engineering staff required
* 5+ years Project management leadership experience inside robust stage/gate organization, e.g. PACE required
* Project Management training (e.g. PmBok, PRINCE PRINCE2) desired
* 5+ years new product development experience required
* 5+ years Life Science or Medical Device industry experience desirable
* Plastics industry and/or consumable experience a strong plus
* Results-oriented with ability to think critically to solve problems and drive results.
* Strong communication skills required to influence and effectively manage people and projects.
* Demonstrates role model leadership and the corporate values of integrity, intensity, innovation, and involvement
* Ability to lead using influence in a matrixed, global environment
* Ability to travel 20%, including international, required
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Product Management jobs in USA
View similar jobs:
Kelly Services - Wilmington, DE
Advisor Process Optimization Six Sigma
CVS Caremark - Scottsdale, AZ
Director Enterprise Product Development
CVS Caremark - Woonsocket, RI
Locate this job: