Director, Store Planning and Design Job Listing at Follett in OAK BROOK, IL (Job ID follett-2654049)
Computer Software, Media / Publishing
Director, Store Planning and Design
Job Title Description:
Business Unit: Higher Education Group
Location: ILLINOIS (OAK BROOK)
Requisition Number: fheg-00008946
Job Type: Regular
Business Unit Profile:
Follett Higher Education
We help institutions, administrators, faculty and students achieve a shared goal: to fully realize the powerful benefits of higher education.
From a community college to a state university, the heartland to the inner city, the East Coast to the West, across the United States and Canada, the needs and requirements of higher learning institutions are as unique as the students they teach. Providing course materials and management services for both local operations and online stores, we are higher education's leading campus retailer and largest wholesaler. Anchored by an assortment of products and services driving access and affordability - including Rent-A-Text and our digital textbook platform CafeScribe - Follett Higher Education Group continues to see growth across our channels, evolving our bookstores of today to the campus stores of tomorrow. Internet.
Please visit our website to learn more atwww.fheg.follett.com
This position will supervise, develop, and retain Project Managers of Store Design for the timely execution of new store, expansion and remodel projects from inception, through design, to approved project documents. Retain continuing responsibility for Store Design oversight extending to project turnover and opening. Develop, maintain and interpret the company's prototype store design and specifications. Assist the Vice President of Store Design In the activities and operations of the department as assigned.
* People Management
* Responsible for the hiring, training for the Store Design Department consisting of Project Managers, Designers, and Coordinators, including review and assessment of their performance.
* Implement a successful communication process that informs the various disciplines of design directives and changes.
* Defines and documents the typical requirements for all design components for the brand.
* Supervise and have final approval over staff preparation of site specific store designs and related specifications in connection with new, expansion, and remodeled stores.
* Store Design
* Develop and maintain high group standards for technical competence and timely performance.
* Ensure, through continued training and evaluation, that the technical staff meets the demands of current project requirements and is trained and developed in support of long term group and departmental goals and objectives.
* Review and continue to evolve the implementation process, create design standards, master drawing templates, and details for construction documents.
* Ensure Store Designers, Project Managers and Coordinators adhere to brand design and specification implementation correctly.
* Conduct plan reviews to ensure that all approved design intentions are fully executed.
* Responsible for fixture design and development as well as sourcing and value engineering recommendations.
* Work with Purchasing and vendors on prototype development and samples.
* Project Management
* Partner with the VP of Store Planning regarding activities and operations of the Store Planning Department. Communicate all critical Items and situations that might impact project design requirements, schedule, or cost.
* Implement the prototype store design identity, and specification standards to Project Managers who will support the company's goals and objectives.
* Develop and maintain effective project and resource management procedures and scheduling systems to meet the demands of current and unanticipated project design requirements.
* Oversee Project Manager's assessments and negotiations as it pertains to design criteria, fees, and schedules with architects and other outside services.
* Visit proposed property development sites for project feasibility and delegation of preparation for site specific designs.
* Ensure Project Managers maintain complete project records and drawings covering all aspects of design development from project initiation to final drawings with particular emphasis on the documentation of project standards, requirements, reviews, and approvals.
* Drive high group standards for technical competence and timely performance monitoring work progress and quality.
* Relationship Management
* Collaborate and make recommendations directly with the brand executives on store design needs that will support the division in achieving strategic goals on time and within budget.
* Assists with development and interpretation of the overall design direction for the brand to outside consultants and vendors. Responsible for assisting in the overall concept development and Implementation, color direction, fixture design, material selection, functionality, and capacity for store programs.
* Interact and provide direction with Real Estate/Legal on Store Planning related leasing Issues. Works with landlords and developers on site specific issues. Ensures proper implementation of store design with construction team and general contractors as well as with purchasing team. Collaborates closely supporting all needs of each department.
* Responsible for presentations to various leaders of the brand as well as landlords and developers.
* Help VP of Store Planning maintain contacts with the involved company departments, vendors and consultants. Direct and negotiate with architects, professional representatives, and other interested parties in connection with the design and approval phase of current property development projects.
* Other duties as assigned by direct supervisor.
* Bachelor's degree with preferred concentration in Architecture, Interior Design, or Industrial Design.
* Minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in architecture with an emphasis in retail architecture and planning, including 4 years of supervisory experience managing designers, project managers, and other levels of management.
* Demonstrated knowledge of retail architecture and store planning theory, practices and procedures; architectural and store design, site development and graphic arts; and, the laws, ordinances, codes and regulations applicable to retail and commercial building construction.
* Proven ability to plan, organize and direct the work of staff architectural coordinators.
* Ability to work effectively with a collaborative team environment.
* Exceptional ability to exercise sound professional judgment in architectural, planning, and construction matters.
* Ability to complete tasks with accuracy and with strong attention to details.
* Demonstrable skill in the application of architectural and store planning theory to the solution of practical architectural and planning problems.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with an outstanding ability both to explain company design requirements to individuals and before groups and also to effectively lead those individuals and groups to consensus decisions in support of company design objectives.
* Ability to consistently meet deadlines, completing tasks as previously defined.
* Ability to work with integrity, trust and commitment, setting a high standard for others.
* Strong decision making skills.
* Specialized computer knowledge with demonstrated production level proficiency AutoCAD version 14 as well as Microsoft Word and Excel.
Follett provides a competitive, comprehensive and cost-effective benefits program that includes:
* Three Medical Options (Health Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account, HMO)
* Two Dental Options (PPO, DMO)
* Vision Discount Program
* Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical and Dependant Care
* Profit Sharing and 401(k) Plan (dollar for dollar match up to 4%)
* Two Weeks Paid Vacation After One Year (one week in the first year after six months)
* Tuition Reimbursement for Manager Approved Career-Enhancing Courses
* 100% Matching of Qualified Charitable Donations
* Store Discounts on Books and Merchandise
* Eleven Paid Holidays (8 Observed Holidays, 3 Personal Days)
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer welcoming individuals with diverse talents and backgrounds.
Visit FHEG's Online Career Center
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Art/Design jobs in Chicago, IL
View similar jobs:
Web Graphic Designer
The Bradford Group - Niles, IL
Manager, Planning & Analysis - Photo
Walgreens - Deerfield, IL
Associate Art Director
Chicago Tribune Media Goup - Chicago, IL
Locate this job: