CAO Hospital Services Specialist Job Listing at Fresenius Medical Care in Houston, TX (Job ID 130001JM)
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Supports FMCNA’s mission, vision, core values and customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
Utilizes in-depth knowledge of dialysis admissions processes within a defined market to assess and facilitate the transition of hospital in-patient dialysis patients into an outpatient end stage renal disease (ESRD) facility. Contributes to a decreased length and number of hospital stays by applying knowledge of ESRD locations and their specific admissions protocols to ensure the provision of the appropriate discharge placement services for ESRD patients. Per the specific contract with the hospital, this may include assessing patient need for other outpatient services and collaborating with service providers and practitioners for provision of the services. Maintains communication with Pre-ESRD and ESRD (collectively renal) patients, physicians treating those patients (e.g. nephrologists, hospitalists, intensivists, et. al), discharge planners, hospital staff, community resources, educational professionals, etc. to ensure service satisfaction. Develops and maintains data for metric/performance reporting to the hospitals serviced and FMS Management.
Position is primarily based in a hospital, hospital system, or group of unaffiliated hospitals. The position may or may not involve work with an FMCNA affiliated Acute Program.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES:
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Using detailed knowledge regarding the dialysis facilities and modalities offered within the assigned market, and whether there are options such as rehab or nursing homes with dialysis services on location, or home therapy programs available, to provide patient with choices/recommendations.
- Coordinating with the patient and discharge planners to identify appropriate placement for outpatient services according to the individual patient preferences; physician orders; vacancy rates and capacity of outpatient dialysis facilities within the market.
- Working closely with appropriate hospital staff/partners and contractors to ensure hospital directives; patient requests; and physician orders are addressed appropriately
- Collaborating with outpatient dialysis staff and hospital staff/partners and contractors to resolve issues relating to the placement of patients into the outpatient setting.
- Determining the type of placement needed by the patient - such as determining whether the patient requires/requests in-center, nocturnal or home dialysis.
- Establishing whether there is a need for a vascular access assessment and placement.
- Intervening early into the hospital admissions process to identify whether a patient may need a permanent nephrologist and if they do, to arrange nephrology consult and the needed services to discharge to dialysis vs. after dialysis thus contributing to a decrease length of stay.
- Statistics related to program performance such as number of discharges to Fresenius vs Non Fresenius locations; controllable vs. non-controllable delays; readmission rates/repeat admissions, length of stay; education referrals; and nephrology or vascular access referrals.
- Identifying and reporting market changes that impact the outpatient placement and education services such as new/closing dialysis providers; new/revised admission requirements in the area; new service offerings; and new nephrologists to the market, etc. and responding to these as appropriate.
- Identifies and addresses concerns the hospital may have with the outpatient placement service levels and developing action plans with appropriate FMCNA and Hospital staff to effectuate process improvements;
- Identifies process improvements to the outpatient placement process and collaborates with appropriate management and affected parties to implement the process improvements.
For acute contracts designed with risk sharing between FMCNA and the Hospital, the HSS will focus primarily on the support of the acute program and reduction of acute therapies and readmissions. In cases of risk sharing, the HSS may perform all of the above functions with the focus on facilitating discharge placements of hospital inpatient dialysis patients. These placements may be to any outpatient dialysis facility or only to FMCNA locations. May work with a Renal Inpatient Case Manager (RICM) to facilitate the outpatient placement. In cases where both an HSS and RICM service a hospital, the HSS and RICM will collaborate to decrease the length of stay and readmission rates. The HSS focus will be primarily on the non-clinical, renal related discharge coordination functions while the RICM will be focused on the clinical care of the patient while in the in-patient setting and coordination of the appropriate clinical care, education and interventions post discharge to decrease readmission rates.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position requires significant periods of standing and walking between various hospital departments and patient care floors. Potential for travel between hospital settings for assignments covering multiple hospitals and/or significant travel within an assigned geography/region, particularly if performing Patient Services Specialist duties.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Healthcare jobs in Houston, TX
View similar jobs:
Cedar Bayou - OTR PRN - Baytown, TX
RehabCare - Baytown, TX
Clear Brook Crossing Rehab - Full Time Physical Therapist - Houston, TX
RehabCare - Houston, TX
Cedar Bayou - OTR PRN - Baytown, TX
RehabCare - Baytown, TX
Locate this job: