PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Supports FMCNA’s mission, vision, core values and customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
Acts as the facility receptionist while answering incoming referral calls and completing admissions for patients. Responsible for ensuring required demographic, financial, referral, and clinical and other admission data is collected, completed and communicated per USV/FMCNA policies and procedures. Provides secretarial and administrative support as needed.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES:
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Coordinate and execute patient scheduling. Duties include:
- Handle patient scheduling at the center; schedule and input appointments into the computer scheduling module in a timely and efficient manner.
- May coordinate the scheduling of patients to another treating location who cannot be scheduled at the facility.
- Assist with patient transportation if the patient qualifies per USV Transportation of Indigent Patient Policy.
- Informs management of patient cancellations or additions and inputs adjustments into the computer scheduling module.
- Contacts patient and/or referral source when patient fails to report or cancels appointment. Documents why patient cancelled or failed to report.
Complete registration and admissions of patients. Duties include:
- Complete front end process of billing procedure ensuring all information is entered into the computer registration module.
- Obtain necessary patient information - clinical, financial and demographic - from referral source to initiate admissions process.
- Interview patient or patient representative or referral source to obtain the necessary personal and financial data to determine eligibility for admission.
- Obtain necessary signatures to ensure the efficient processing of admissions data in accordance with USV/FMCNA policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with referral source or patient or patient’s physician to effectively resolve issues impacting patient’s admission process.
- Ensure all aspects of patient confidentiality are maintained at all times.
- Provide patient with appropriate HIPPA information and documentation.
- Verifies and obtains eligibility and benefits for all primary and secondary insurances. If verification is processed via Internet, prints out and includes in registration packet.
- Performs pre-certification on all non-Medicare patients before treatment is initiated.
- Assemble, file and maintain patient medical records and financial records.
- Work closely with billing personnel to obtain and verify all necessary information for billing purposes.
Post procedure responsibilities include:
- Research any questions related to charge sheets.
- Distribute copies of all billing information and necessary documents to the billing department on a daily basis.
- Send patient operative reports to referral source and patient’s physician within 72 hours of completed procedure.
- Ensure appropriate signatures are included on all necessary chart forms.
- Inspect patient charts post procedure. Obtain physician dictation and file in medical record.
- File charge sheets in financial records.
- Purge medical records per policy and procedure.
Performs a variety of clerical and secretarial duties, including but not limited to:
- Preparing and typing routine correspondence, form letters and reports.
- Answering telephones and routing calls.
- Greeting visitors and patients.
- Distributing faxes, memos and e-mails to the appropriate parties.
- Making copies of correspondence and other printed matter.
- Maintaining inventory of office forms and supplies.
- Print patient schedule and pull patient charts daily.
- Arrange for package pick up and delivery through UPS
Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians. The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community.
The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials. EDUCATION:
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of six months relevant experience, preferably in a medical setting with insurance billing.
- Proficient in the use of computers and related software such as Microsoft Office is necessary.
- Good communication skills - verbal and written.
- Pleasant telephone manner.
- Ability to handle several tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to adapt to supporting software applications.