Apply on Company Website
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
(include but are not limited to the following):
- Fosters relationships with vendors. Negotiates deals with
vendors. In instances when purchases are not made,
maintains positive vendor relationships for future opportunities.
- Defines the merchandise strategy, such as mix of close-out
vs. non-closeout business.
- Jointly with the planner, develops a merchandise plan to
support the strategy and achieve stated sales, turn and
- . Identifies opportunities to exploit sales and margin
opportunities and partners with planner and allocation
analyst to develop execution tactics.
- Collaborates with Planning, Allocation, Advertising,
Merchandise Presentation, Distribution and Transportation
Services, and Field Management to understand and improve upon
internal company processes.
- Travels to stores to understand merchandise packaging and
presentation requirements, customer requirements and
customer trends. Shops competitor stores to assess direction of
competition and understand competitive pricing
- Travels to trade shows and vendor locations to develop a
network of contacts, to stay informed on industry and
competitor direction, and to source deals.
- Develops a collaborative team atmosphere through an open
exchange of ideas and positive feedback between buyer,
planner and allocation analyst team members.
- Trains and mentors Assistant Buyers and/or Buyers, as
- Performs administrative tasks, as needed or requested.
- College degree, preferred.
- A minimum of five years of retail buying experience,
- Experience in buying complex merchandise categories and
categories with large sales volumes.
- Excellent negotiation and marketing skills.
- Motivated and self-starter, willing to take on new challenges
and learn every aspect of merchandising.
- Able to work as part of a team to achieve common goals.
- System capable in spreadsheet, word processing and data