Apply on Company Website
The RN Charge Nurse manages a designated group of nursing employees on a nursing unit and assures smooth operations of the unit for a designated shift. (Could encompass one or more units depending upon size and clinical programs). Scope of work for the RN Charge Nursemay be modified by State specific rules under the Nurse Practice Act.
- The RN Charge Nurse assesses, plans, coordinates and evaluates residents care along with members of the interdisciplinary team.
- The RN Charge Nurse documents the residents condition and nursing needs accurately and in a timely manner. Reports pertinent observations and reactions regarding residents promptly to Supervisor and Physician as necessary.
- The RN Charge Nurse receives and records physicians orders.
- Communicates staffing problems and needs to the Nurse Manager. Provides input on staffing ratios and deployment.
- The RN Charge Nurse provides oncoming shift and supervisors with accurate and complete resident status report. Maintains the 24 hour report book.
- The RN Charge Nurse develops work assignments for RNs, LPN/LVNs and Nurse Aides as directed.
- The RN Charge Nurse supervises, directs and evaluates staff (i.e., RNs, LPN/LVNs, Medicate Aides/Medication Techs, Nurses Aides, etc.) as directed. Participates in counseling, disciplinary action and termination of staff to the extent permitted by state practice act.
- The RN Charge Nurse assures compliance with policies and procedures.
- The RN Charge Nurse reports problems and complaints timely in the Nurse Manager.
- The RN Charge Nurse provides feedback to Nurse Managers regarding performance of RNs, LPN/LVNs and Nurse Aides.
- The RN Charge Nurse participates in hiring and selection of RNs, LPN/LVNs and Nurse Aides
- The RN Charge Nurse gives feedback and participates in performance appraisals as assigned.
- The RN Charge Nurse supervises nursing assignment, which includes directing assigned nursing staff to the extent permitted by state practice act.
- The RN Charge Nurse coordinates and performs admission, transfer and discharge or residents.
- The RN Charge Nurse completes all appropriate assessments relative to the residents status.
- The RN Charge Nurse maintains positive working relationships between nursing and other departments.
- The RN Charge Nurse actively supports the Angel Care Program.
- The RN Charge Nurse services on and participates in committees as assigned.
- The RN Charge Nurse assures that inventory and supplies are maintained in a clean and safe manner on the unit, are utilized economically and communicates need for housekeeping, maintenance or nutritional services assistance.
- The RN Charge Nurse supports and participates in the centers Performance Improvement initiatives.
- The RN Charge Nurse participates in Survey readiness per SMART Manual
- The RN Charge Nurse completes records and reports as needed.
- The RN Charge Nurse adheres to professional codes of ethics, Kindreds Code of Conduct and maintains PHI confidentiality in the center and in external locations, including electronic social networks.
- The RN Charge Nurse provides direct care and/or assists with care as directed and consistent with their scope of practice and competency. Initiate the SBAR process and collaborate with the RN for assessment and recommendations.
- The RN Charge Nurse makes rounds with physicians and other team members as needed.
- The RN Charge Nurse assists physicians and consultants with special tests or procedures within the scope of state specific nurse practice act and personal clinical competency.
- The RN Charge Nurse coordinates resident assessments, recognizes the need to review and revise residents assessments as needed based upon resident condition.
- The RN Charge Nurse coordinates residents care activities and communicates changes to other team members and resident family/significant other.
- The RN Charge Nurse oversees Medication Aide/Tech in medication/treatment administration.
- The RN Charge Nurse reviews, transcribes, communicates and implements physician orders, obtaining RN signature as required by State Regulations.
- The RN Charge Nurse communicates with residents physician.
- The RN Charge Nurse initiates, recommends, communicates and implements changes in residents care plans.
- The RN Charge Nurse assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse developments in residents. Directs and administers cardiopulmonary resuscitation.
- The RN Charge Nurse documents care performed and observations of resident status in the clinical record promptly by utilizing standard clinical documentation guidelines as required by Kindred, and local, state and federal rules and regulations.
- The RN Charge Nurse monitors completeness and accuracy of own clinical medical record entries and those of assigned staff daily.
- The RN Charge Nurse participates in medication management to promote optimal safety and effectiveness for residents by:
- Administering medications as ordered, including next scheduled dose following admission/readmission. Notify Supervisor of medications not available.
- Preparing, administering and documenting medications as prescribed.
- Observing and reporting resident responses to medication
- Identifying and promptly communicating adverse drug reactions
- Initiate enteral or parenteral therapy as ordered
- Maintaining narcotic records accurately
- Responsible for completing medication interchange and insurance prior to authorization as assigned
- Ordering or arranging for ordering of pharmaceuticals
- Notifying physicians of automatic stop orders
- Transcribe verbal orders obtained from other professionals
- Completes recapitulated physician orders review as assigned
- Notifying supervisors of discrepancies in drug inventories
- Cleans, organizes and replenishes supplies on medication/treatment carts after each use and prior to shift change.
- The RN Charge Nurse completes clinical admission paperwork for new admissions
- The RN Charge Nurse initiates and assists consultants while providing services. Reviews documentation from consultant visit and follows up on recommendation.
- The RN Charge Nurse assists with follow up on results of qualitative and quantitative medical record audits.
- The RN Charge Nurse communicates and implements pharmacy review/DRR recommendation as assigned.
- The RN Charge Nurse assists with clinical discharge process
- The RN Charge Nurse administers treatments
- The RN Charge Nurse collects specimens as ordered.
- The RN Charge Nurse initiates, implements and monitors restorative and rehabilitative nursing programs
Core Values/Service Excellence:
- The RN Charge Nurse work efforts reflect a passion for exceeding customer expectations.
- The RN Charge Nurse solicits patient/resident feedback to understand their needs and the needs of the community. Advocates for Service Excellence within the Center and influences others to take action.
- The RN Charge Nurse displays responsibility by taking ownership of quality care. The RN Charge Nurse shows dedication to enriching the lives of our patients and residents through empathy and compassion.
- The RN Charge Nurse exhibits a commitment to results by looking for and recommending/implementing process improvements.
- The RN Charge Nurse demonstrates commitment to interpersonal excellence through professional greetings, proper telephone etiquette, common courtesy, a professional attitude and appearance.
- The RN Charge Nurse enriches the Center culture by having fun.
- The RN Charge Nurse recognizes the benefits of team collaboration. Shows respect for fellow employees by working together to get the job done.
- The RN Charge Nurse effectively addresses customer concerns and resolves conflict in a manner that is fair to all.