SPEECH PATHOLOGIST SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF Job Listing at Louisiana Department of State Civil Service in Baton Rouge, LA
Job Title: SPEECH PATHOLOGIST SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
Agency: LA Schools for the Deaf & Visually Impaired (LSDVI)
Opening Date: Thu. 03/21/13
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
State Salary Range: Depends on Qualifications
Agency Hiring Range: Min: Max:
Job Type: Unclassified
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Print Job Information|Apply
Qualifications Benefits Supplemental Questions
Master’s degree in Speech Pathology, Certificate of Clinical Competency – Speech (CCC-SP) with American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) certification
Experience working with deaf and hard-of-hearing children is required.
Must possess or qualify for licensure as a Speech Pathologist by the LA Board of Speech Pathology and Audiology
Must possess, or be willing to acquire, expressive and receptive sign language skills. The minimum acceptable Sign Language Proficiency Interview (SLPI) level for effective job performance is Advanced.
The individual must be energetic, creative, and have a positive, encouraging style of teaching.
RELEASE OF ASSESSMENT AND EVALUATION INFORMATION:La. R.S. 17:3884(D) requires that any school board wishing to hire a person who has been assessed or evaluated pursuant to the Children First Act, La. R.S. 17:3871, et seq., whether that person is already employed by that school system or not, shall request such person’s assessment and evaluation results as part of the application process. Please be advised that, as part of the mandated process, your previous assessment and evaluation results will be requested. You have the opportunity to apply, review the information received, and provide any response or information you deem appropriate.
No Civil Service test scoreis required in order to be considered for this vacancy.
To apply for this vacancy, click on the “Apply” link above and complete an electronic application which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities.
Applicants can check the status of their application at any time by selecting the ‘Application Status’ link after logging into their account. Below are the most common status messages and their meanings.
Application Status Message
What it Means
Your application has been submitted successfully.
Checking for required test score
We are making sure you have an active, passing score for the required written test.
Your application is being reviewed by Human Resources to ensure you meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
Eligible for consideration
You are among a group of applicants who MAY be selected for the position.
Referred to hiring manager for review
Your application has been delivered to the hiring manager. You may or may not be called for an interview.
Someone has been selected for the position.
The agency has decided not to fill the position.
For further information about this vacancy contact:
The employee must be able to perform these assigned duties without significant risk of substantial harm to his/her own safety/security and the safety/security of others.
I. Essential Responsibilities
* Implements School for the Deaf (SD) instructional philosophy, program and curricula in the instruction of students
* Meets with colleagues, classroom teachers and/or students to facilitate progress toward Individual Education Plan (IEP) communication goals
* Develops and updates annually the communication curriculum area of each child’s IEP as mandated by P.L. 94-142 and Louisiana Act 754; attends IEP meetings when appropriate
* Ensures Act 754 Regulations are followed (including maintenance of records and reports)
* Prepares and submits lesson plans to meet IEP goals
* Demonstrates ability in planning, organizing, and implementing content and space
* Keeps abreast of new trends, approaches, techniques and teaching strategies
* Maintains amplification and/or augmentative communication equipment and inventories assigned equipment
* Maintains a safe physical environment
* Develops and maintains reasonable classroom rules for appropriate student behavior and the care of school property, facilities, and equipment
* Maintains an appropriate student-teacher relationship and respects the individual worth and dignity of each pupil
* Uses common sense and sound judgment
* Uses time effectively
* Demonstrates knowledge and skill in area of responsibility
* Demonstrates knowledge of child growth and development
* Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively with students using effective expressive and receptive sign language skills
* Demonstrates skillful and creative use of instructional aids and materials
* Maintains complete and accurate records
* Demonstrates assessment and evaluation skills
* Exhibits knowledge of special education rules and regulations associated with implementation of state and federal laws
* Exhibits understanding of children who are deaf or hard of hearing and their needs
* Maintains confidentiality of information in accord with requirements of law
IV. Additional Responsibilities
* Attends in-service workshops as mandated by local policies or legislative acts
* Attends faculty, staff, administrative and/or professional meetings scheduled by the Chief Academic Officer, Director of LSD or the LSS Superintendent
* Displays dependability and punctuality in attendance
* Demonstrates reliability and punctuality in meeting obligations
* Exhibits professional ethics
* Exhibits initiative
* Demonstrates appropriate and effective interpersonal skills
* Recognizes and follows established communication channels
* Exhibits willingness to accept and use suggestions for improvement
* Participates in various committee meetings and staffing as appropriate
K. Meets with parents, students, and faculty/staff members
L. Participates in school-sponsored activities as a sponsor, advisor, and/or participant
* Develops and implements a Professional Growth Plan in consultation with the Supervisor
* Completes a Self Evaluation
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Examples of Work:
See Job Concepts above.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Education/Teaching jobs in Louisiana Non-Metro
View similar jobs:
PROFESSIONAL COUNSELOR 1
Louisiana Department of State Civil Service - Pineville, LA
Administrative Coordinator 3
Louisiana Department of State Civil Service - Ruston, LA
Lake Charles, Louisiana School SLP Jobs
Soliant Health - Lake Charles, LA
Locate this job: