Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial Brands That MatterTM while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our globally recognized brands include Rubbermaid, Graco, Teutonia, Calphalon, Goody, Levolor, IRWIN, LENOX, Hilmor, Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman and Parker.
As a Principal designer you will work with teams located in Newell Rubbermaid’s new 40,000 square foot Design Center in Kalamazoo, Michigan. This brand new state of the art facility is located in the Business, Technology and Research Park of Western Michigan University and has been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners. A large, open studio space will provide the ideal environment for designers and engineers to collaborate. A fully equipped model shop and prototype facility along with immersion labs for each of the company’s business segments will enable design teams to fully develop and evaluate product concepts as they envision the future of Newell Rubbermaid’s portfolio.
Inside the Design Center you will work with over 100 design professionals across both 2D and 3D disciplines. You will build the power of our brands by developing innovative new products that improve the lives of our consumers. In this role you will create user experiences, define interfaces and bring form to your solutions. Strong people skills are required to partner with our Advanced Design, Advanced Technology and Materials teams to champion innovative technical solutions that blend seamlessly with product design. You will forge strong relationships with Engineering to ensure Brand and Product architecture guidelines are being met. You will partner with Consumer Insights, Marketing and Sales teams to gather insights, define design criteria and develop research materials.
This role is focused on developing innovative products for our labeling, writing and creative expression businesses. Experience industrial and consumer electronics markets through our Dymo brand. Explore the potential of our Sharpie, Papermate, Expo, Uniball, Prismacolor and Berol product families. Design the tools of designers!
- Regularly introduces and champions new ideas, end user solutions and product platforms
- Regularly introduces patent-able features and product concepts. Drive competitive advantage
- Proven ability to lead and direct the convergence of one or more final design approaches within cross functional teams
- Conceptualize and develop new products having a high level of difficulty and complexity
- Conceptualization and embedment of VBL brand strategies
- Preparation / creation of high quality presentation materials through different media; Highly Developed
- Public speaking and presentation skills ; Highly Developed
- Accountable for the successful design implementation of a major product from concept to completion;
- Influencing project teams through persuasion and communication: .Sr. Leadership
- Business acumen: Highly Developed understanding of key metrics, business drivers and functional roles
- Lead external vendors to accelerate idea generation; Project proposals, timelines, and mgmt.
- Mentor for Segment Design teams and serves as a trusted advisor to the Segment business teams on Design Process and Techniques
- Has a developed network of design professionals, consultants, prototypers and insights specialists
- Product Design Guide Champion. Capable of supplying Licensing approval and feedback for a particular business segment
- Conceptualization and embedment of technology and innovation platforms leveraging new and existing VBL
- Proven track record of converting broader consumer insights into innovative design solutions. Application across a multitude of media demonstrating market success
- Ability to develop programs that require direct contact with consumers and end users via interviews and observational studies. Versed in research techniques and methodologies
- Advanced knowledge of competitive product, retail environments and market influences. Publishes and fosters communication of current trends and events within project teams
- Ten years + of relevant experience in corporate or consulting design
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
Work Experience Requirements:
- Mechanically inclined with strong aesthetic sensitivity.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
- Design for manufacture: Advanced knowledge and skills. (Robust understanding of NR mfg. processes and capabilities)
- Self-motivated and flexible. Willing to learn new things
- Proven ability to drive multiple programs simultaneously
- Ability to work independently toward project goals and timelines with no direction
- Ability to occasionally travel and work internationally.
- Advanced sketching, vector, and raster artwork.
- Advanced 3D-CAD development and rendering
- Advanced conceptual, creative and analytical skills
- Advanced skills for: Study models, breadboards and proof of principle models
- Ability to present in English.
Technical Experience Requirements:
- Adobe Creative Suite, Solidworks / Pro E and Keyshot
- MS Office
Newell Rubbermaid and its Business Units are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.