Principal Industrial Designer Advanced Design Writing Platform Job Listing at Newell Rubbermaid in Kalamazoo, MI (Job ID 1305412)
Reference Code: 1305412
Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and commercial products that touch the lives of people where they live, work and play. We are committed to building consumer and commercial Brands That MatterTM while leveraging the benefits of being one company: shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our globally recognized brands include Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman, Parker, Rolodex, IRWIN, LENOX, Rubbermaid, Graco, Calphalon, Goody and Teutonia.
As a Principal Designer you will work with teams located in Newell Rubbermaid’s new 40,000-square-foot design headquarters in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in the Business, Technology and Research Park of Western Michigan. This new facility has been carefully planned to foster creativity and maximize the sharing of ideas and technologies among the company’s brands and process partners. A large, open studio space will provide the ideal environment for designers and engineers to collaborate using advanced software tools. Immersion labs for the company’s priority business segments will enable design and engineering teams to evaluate product prototypes and imagine the possibilities of future product roadmaps. You will collaborate closely with Industrial Designers to create customer experiences for the next generation of consumer products. This person will conceptualize and develop new products that improve the lives of our customers. In this role you will create aspects of form, aesthetics and the interfaces between users and products. Strong people skills are required to ensure a smooth transition from Advanced (Strategy) to Segment (Commercialization) Design teams. Additionally, you will partner with the Advanced Technology and Material teams to champion innovative technical solutions that will be incorporated into the product design.
The role requires an individual who can work independently as well as directly with our US based Design Team. The role offers opportunities to collaborate with Marketing, procurement, and product business teams from both our US and Hong Kong offices. You will forge strong relationships with Engineering to ensure Brand and Product architecture guidelines are being met. As an extension of our design team in the US you will have opportunities to help us explore our US focused categories of Outdoor Living, Home Organization, Closet, Garage, Indoor Waste, Outdoor Refuse, Laundry, Kitchen, Cleaning and Insulated.
· Regularly introduces and champions new ideas, end user solutions and product platforms
· Regularly introduces patent-able features and product concepts. Drive competitive advantage
· Proven ability to lead and direct the convergence of one or more final design approaches within cross functional teams
· Conceptualize and develop new products having a high level of difficulty and complexity
· Conceptualization and embedment of VBL brand strategies
· Preparation / creation of high quality presentation materials through different media; Highly Developed
· Public speaking and presentation skills ; Highly Developed
· Accountable for the successful design implementation of a major product from concept to completion;
· Influencing project teams through persuasion and communication: .Sr. Leadership
· Business acumen: Highly Developed understanding of key metrics, business drivers and functional roles
· Lead external vendors to accelerate idea generation; Project proposals, timelines, and mgmt.
· Has a developed network of design professionals, consultants, prototypers and insights specialists
· Product Design Guide Champion. Capable of supplying Licensing approval and feedback for a particular business segment
· Conceptualization and embedment of technology and innovation platforms leveraging new and existing VBL
· Proven track record of converting broader consumer insights into innovative design solutions. Application across a multitude of media demonstrating market success
· Ability to develop programs that require direct contact with consumers and end users via interviews and observational studies. Versed in research techniques and methodologies
· Advanced knowledge of competitive product, retail environments and market influences. Publishes and fosters communication of current trends and events within project teams
· Responsible for prompt submission of expense reports and adherence to purchasing policies
· Ten years + of relevant experience in corporate or consulting design
· Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design
Work Experience Requirements:
· Ability to present in English.
· Mechanically inclined with strong aesthetic sensitivity.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills.
· Demonstrate ability to work in team environments
· Design for manufacture: Advanced knowledge and skills. (Robust understanding of NR mfg. processes and capabilities)
· Self-motivated and flexible. Willing to learn new things
· Proven ability to drive multiple programs simultaneously
· Ability to work independently toward project goals and timelines with no direction
· Ability to occasionally travel and work internationally.
· Advanced sketching, vector, and raster artwork.
· Advanced 3D-CAD development and rendering
· Advanced conceptual, creative and analytical skills
· Advanced skills for: Study models, breadboards and proof of principle models
Technical Experience Requirements:
· Adobe Creative Suite, Solidworks / Pro E and Keyshot
· MS Office
Newell Rubbermaid and its Business Units are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Engineering jobs in Kalamazoo, MI
View similar jobs:
Section Leader-Machine Design/Electrical Dept.
Kelly Services - Battle Creek, MI
Section Leader - Production Engineering
Kelly Services - Battle Creek, MI
Senior Manager Design & Planning Strategy
Newell Rubbermaid - Kalamazoo, MI
Locate this job: