Apply on Company Website
Newell Rubbermaid is a global marketer of consumer and professional products that touch the lives of people where they live, learn, and work. We are committed to building brands that matter in the lives of the users of our products. We are also committed to leveraging the scale of our company to bring the power of a $6 billion dollar business to bear on each of business segments through shared expertise, operating efficiencies, and a culture of innovation. Our global sales are approximately $6 billion and we have a strong portfolio of globally recognized brands including Sharpie, Paper Mate, DYMO, EXPO, Waterman, Parker, IRWIN, LENOX, Rubbermaid, Graco, Calphalon, Goody, Levolor, Kirsch, and Teutonia. The company is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia. Job Responsibilities: Consumer and Market Insights:
The Vice President-Global Writing RD is accountable for delivering leading writing category innovation results by successfully leading new product development initiatives of the business globally. The Vice President-Global Writing RD develops the NPD delivery plan across our Fine Writing and Everyday Writing portfolios and shape plans that strengthen the business and elevate organizational capabilities while achieving short-term results. The Vice President-Global Writing RD is accountable for successful transition of projects from Global Technology and Global Design. Product line portfolio management, new product development planning, achieving delivery requirements, achieving productivity targets, resource allocation and partnering with Design, Technology and Marketing to deliver product pipeline. The Vice President-Global Writing RD is an effective business leader, working well across functions, organizations, levels, and geographies while proactively influencing across the organization. The Vice President-Global Writing RD is responsible for attracting, developing, and retaining high-performance innovation and new product development talent and for elevating organizational capabilities in innovation and new product development and must possess exceptional people leadership and collaboration skills. The Vice President-Global Writing RD is an undisputed expert in the core methods and processes of new product development execution and also possesses deep domain expertise in one or more specific technical areas such as ink chemistry, nib technology, marker and rollerball technology and delivery of global programs achieving cost, quality and timing requirements. The Vice President-RD leads the global team that executes technical design, technical development, hand off to global supply chain or manufacturing and insures the seamless integration with relevant functions to deliver winning writing solutions into the marketplace.
- Accountable for ensuring consumer insights are integrated from corporate insights team
- Demonstrates deep consumer, marketplace, and competitive understanding and leverages this knowledge for better business results. Directly responsible for crisp competitive knowledge including tear down and analysis, costing, materials and process, etc.
- Constructively challenges research results and links findings to other consumer studies to determine overall conclusions. Ensures findings are built into product development strategies and plans.
New Product Development:
- Accountable for partnering/collaborating with VP’s of global innovation, design, technology and marketing for developing and implementing the brand's innovation strategy aligned with long-term growth prioritization strategy and decisions on product classes to enter, exit, and maintain.
- Accountable for inventorying technical capabilities and creating the business' technology roadmap to deliver on new product demands.
- Collaborates with VP’s of Innovation, Design, Technology and Marketing to specify the relative mix of breakthrough, tactical, and derivative innovation, helps identify new product categories and new enabling technologies.
- Partners with consumer insights organization to align research and development with unmet needs of the consumer. Participates in consumer research on regular basis.
- Partners VP’s Innovation, Design and Technology to shape leading edge product/process technologies to create patentable products with sustainable competitive advantage. Work with Legal resources to coordinate activities and strategies as well as screening and evaluating competitive patents. Champion ideation for product category based on consumer insights.
- Develops success metrics for measuring cost/quality/delivery performance.
- Drives the team towards creating larger new products and platform ideas. Insure the delivery of global writing product leadership.
- Develops strong network with other RD groups across the Global Design, Technology and RD function and other businesses within Newell to share best practices and technical knowledge.
- Track performance and drive improvements on key development metrics; e.g., speed to market, net sales $ per project, % projects meeting objectives on time, sales, and profitability. Drive continuous process improvements.
- Management of Project Management: Partner with central PMO to aggressively drive projects to achieve time, cost, capital, and performance deliverables. Lead planning and coordination of new product development projects and activities as part of cross-function development team. Implement new products from tool shake-out/qualification through first production run (launch). Manage timeline, project expense and capital budgets, and risk mitigation plan. Support development of manufacturing within both internal plants and supply partners. Lead regular project and monthly Product Development Review (PDR) meetings for product category.
- Management of Product Engineering: Responsible for leadership on optimizing product design for mechanical function, manufacturability, packaging and material handling; product specification (CAD, 2D drawings with critical dimensions, material specification, color specification, quality specifications, and performance specification/test plan); conducting and interpreting required testing and analysis; developing and evaluating cost analysis for new and modified product designs through production launch; and developing CAD standards and capabilities as well as product specification documentation.
- Management of Ink Technology Lab: Partner with advanced technology for managing the creation and ongoing management of ink formulations and associated testing for internal evaluation and consumer research.
- New Product Development Process Improvement: Track performance and drive improvements on key development metrics; speed to market, net sales $ per project, % projects meeting objectives on time, sales, and profitability. Drive continuous process improvements.
- Management of Product Maintenance: Responsible for technical support to operations and outside vendors in solving product quality problems with existing products.
- Recognizes excellence in design and drives design thinking throughout the organization at all levels.
- Champions best-in-class design in partnership with VP, Global Design as a route to profit and growth.
- Ensures high-performing collaboration across marketing, design, technology and manufacturing.
- Monetizes company's design expertise and ensures successful conversion of design direction into execution. New products "get credit" with consumers for their superior design
Organization Role and Structure and Talent Management:
- Prepares annual Global Writing RD budget and manage/track spending.
- Secures sufficient budget to meet executional development priorities and works proactively with Chief Design and RD Officer to ensure approved project plans are properly funded.
- Balances RD financial risks and opportunities, including contingency planning, spending gating, cost targets, and approving trade-offs or investment to fill any identified gaps between projected performance and targets. Recommends how to solve for unfavorable product cost.
- Collaborates with global technology, sourcing, and operations to ensure productivity pipeline and strategy is consistent with design and brand targets and expectations.
- Sets the hierarchy and structure of the Global Writing RD team.
- Sets the top new product development priorities for the Global Writing RD team. Enforces decision rights and breaks down silos between functions, geographies, and cultures.
- Collaborates with peers to share and implement product development best practices.
- Uses appropriate decision-making and approval processes in a timely manner. Participates in and supports corporate strategy and business review meetings.
- Acts as a role model for the Global Writing team. Leads in a positive, open and collaborative way and sets the tone for the team. Is an exceptional leader of people who engenders followership, trust and respect.
- Approves a clear statement of work or project scope and compensation for all writing product Development agencies before beginning work. Insures scope creep does not occur on chartered projects.
- Completes PMDP process for self and reviews PMDP's for global writing RD team. Coaches and develops RD teams' skills.
- Participates in RD recruiting events and conducts interviews. Approves global and regional writing RD hires. Creates a robust succession plan for regional and global RD talent.
- Management of Technical Development Staff. Identify critical skills and abilities required and hire, develop, and conduct performance ratings for staff. Provide team development through mentoring, coaching, and constructive feedback to direct reports.
- Four-year college degree in Engineering and/or Science, Chemical Engineering preferred. Masters degree preferred.
- 15 years of Product Development work experience. Experience in consumer products and chemistry preferred.
- Acknowledged expert in the methods and processes of product design, including FMEA, DF(X), CAD/CAE, materials, Six Sigma, VA/VE.
- Demonstrated success in translating business priorities into Product Development objectives, strategies, and plans.
- Proven experience in leading/managing large, global engineering teams.
- Experience successfully managing a product development budget to optimize growth, including determination of product engineering designs that can extract maximum value from the marketplace, reducing costs, EO, and inventories, balancing financial risks, and forecasting future performance.
- Demonstrated ability
- Proven experience leading large, global, cross-functional teams to successful results
- Experience influencing executives and successfully making the case for investment in innovation
- Proactive leader who possesses sophisticated organizational skills, aggressive drive for performance, and high levels of personal accountability and integrity
- Product development leadership and project management experience in a stage-gate product development environment with evidence of successful product launches.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a large number of projects through a team of direct reports in a cross-functional environment.
- Evidence of strong problem solving skills including identify problems, potential problems, and developing solutions.
- Proven coping skills relative to problem or conflict resolution
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, writing, planning, and presentation skills and demonstrated the ability to lead by influence instead of direct control.
- Experience in working with global suppliers/partners on new product development as required.
- Experience in working with industrial design, advanced technology and proven cross functional collaboration for success
Preferred Qualifications: • Consumer Products Industry Experience with a focus on writing instruments. Experience with a proven design leading company a plus. Experience with a technology leading company a plus.
Newell Rubbermaid and its Business Units are Equal Opportunity Employers and comply with applicable employment laws. M/F/D/V are encouraged to apply.