Apply on Company Website
The Consulting Director of Underwriting manages a team of 4 to 6 underwriters and may be responsible for managing a portfolio of clients not to exceed 50% of their job duties. The teams may be comprised of any combination of in force and/or proposal underwriters. The Director effectively uses superior technical skills and strong organizational managements skills to develop underwriting staff, align performance to objectives and provide a controlled environment in which to underwrite. The Director interacts with all levels of the function and leadership across the organization. This position will report to the Director of Underwriting who sets objectives, monitors performance and ensures appropriate controls are in place to support the function. The Director acts in the best interest of our shareholders, customers and company with unwavering commitment to high ethical standards. Main Job Responsibilities:
- Daily management and oversight of one or more underwriting teams, including: managing workflow, case assignments and staffing to meet deliverables on or before due dates
- Daily responsibilities of managing their own client portfolio, as required
- Accountable for building an engaged, diverse high performing team
- Develop measurable skill level assessments to improve bench strength of staff and serve as thresholds for promotion
- Collaborate with partners across functional lines to align team objectives with organizational initiatives. Frequent interaction with other UW departments, Sales, Account Management, Risk, Compliance, operations, producers, clients, prospects and consultants in supporting and leading to positive outcomes crucial to long term success
- Accountable for developing and supporting a culture of adequate control, through effectively changing behavior to address quality assurance/quality review findings
- Regularly evaluate work processes and tools with a focus on continuous improvement to achieve business objectives and to make recommended changes through a change control process.
- Coaches staff through daily interactions. Uses coaching sessions to evaluate staff bench strength and skills, review work product and provide expert guidance and consultation on complex arrangements.
- Leads and develops staff in the analysis and assessment of risk. This includes, but is not limited to, the review and utilization of demographic data, experience review, case accounting, financial analysis, product filings, statutory requirements and experience refund formula and policies. Demonstrates the ability to take intelligent risk in making decisions and recommendations.
- Responsible for the timely completion of HR related activities including, but not limited to: Objective setting, individual development plans, mid year reviews, year end reviews, required training
- Is current on the latest policies, procedures and regulations impacting group insurance. Ensures the team understands and is utilizing all appropriate policies and procedures.
- Strong technical background in group insurance underwriting (5+ years) and financing arrangements including flex funding and captive reinsurance, excellent risk management skills
- Skilled at interpreting and communicating financial business drivers (5+ years)
- Strong managerial skills (3+ years), with an emphasis on process improvement and control environment
- Excellent oral and written communications skills to ensure the communication of objectives, visions and strategies can be articulated to any audience, be it individual, team, producer , client
- Confident interacting with various constituents at all levels of skill/knowledge, be they internal or external, including brokers and clients
- Demonstrated knowledge of the market and department realities and goals.
- Strong leadership skills to influence culture and drive desired outcomes
- Knowledge of PC applications such as EXCEL spreadsheeting and Word
- Demonstrated passion for talent through evidence of developing associates and self