Apply on Company Website
Food & Beverage, Retail
From One World Class Team to Another
SAFEWAY RETAIL FIRST ASSISTANT STORE MANAGER LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
UPCOMING CLASS: September 30 – October 4, 2013
This position could be located anywhere within a 50-mile radius of Pleasanton in Northern California; candidates must remain open on location within this geography.
Safeway is one of the most successful food and drug retailers in North America and is headquartered in Pleasanton, California. From our first store in 1915, our employees are the driving force behind our incredible success as their professionalism, passion, and ambition have helped us become a Fortune 100 company with over 1,700 locations across the United States and Canada.
Given the competitive business landscape, it is becoming increasingly important to focus on hiring exceptional talent. A key component of our strategy includes recruiting and developing trained leaders. Confident, responsible, ethical, courageous, inspiring, and committed to excellence – as a military service member, you are a leader. These are the characteristics that make Safeway employees successful as we, too, are dedicated to world-class service.
Leadership Development Program:
Our Leadership Development Program prepares non-commissioned officers to become First Assistant Store Managers in our dynamic retail environment. Each program participant (First Assistant Store Manager-In-Training) is paired with a training store manager as their mentor and assigned a training store location in their division. Our development program includes a combination of on-the-job training, interacting with coworkers and customers on the sales floor, classroom seminars, job shadowing with various retail and backstage employees, and independent study, as well as participating in numerous department and divisional meetings.
Upon successful completion of the Leadership Development Program, participants are placed as First Assistant Store Managers. There are advancement opportunities within retail management based on performance and position availability; career progression begins by moving to higher volume store locations and taking on additional challenges within the store environment. From our stores to our corporate headquarters, and with departments ranging from Retail Management to Labor Relations to Merchandising to Information Technology to Distribution, we offer location transfer availability and careers that build your skills and your future.
Interview and Selection Process:
Each applicant undergoes an extensive structured recruiting process which begins with a phone interview with one of Safeway’s senior recruiters.
We aspire to be the best in all that we do and we need you to achieve that goal. If you are looking to join another world-class team, we invite you to build your career with Safeway and help pave the way to our future. For more information, please visit www.careersatsafeway.com/military.
Your leadership served our country.
Now, let our career opportunities serve you.
First Assistant Store Manager Job Description:
As one of the primary contacts for Safeway customers, the First Assistant Store Manager is heavily involved in and provides friendly, courteous, and helpful customer service on a daily basis. The first assistant store manager is also responsible for assisting the Store Manager with the total operations of the store and performs various duties personally or through supervision of store employees (100+ bargaining unit and non-contract employees). The First Assistant Store Manager position is a non-union, salaried position and reports to the Store Manager.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent, college degree preferred, and have attained at least a rank of E-5 as a non-commissioned officer with direct leadership experience in a branch of the United States military.
- Must provide DD Form 214 indicating an honorable discharge or separation as a condition of hire.
- Strong customer service, supervisory, and leadership skills.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overall management responsibility for operation of retail grocery store during absence of the Store Manager, including store performance, control of cash, inventory and security, customer services, and management of staff.
- Track, analyze and take action to improve store performance by forecasting of weekly/daily sales goals and meeting or exceeding established goals. Communicate sales goals, department performance and sales opportunities with staff to ensure positive results.
- Forecast, schedule, and monitor labor to be consistent with store sales and productivity guidelines and wage budgets; create action plan to address cost control issues.
- Support Store Manager with development and direction in the execution of strategies to improve product placement and appearance.
- Monitor display accuracy and appearance to implement promotions. Ensure that products are properly displayed and ordered in a manner to maintain in-stock conditions.
- Manage issues relating to store maintenance, cleanliness, safety and sanitation.
- Oversee and monitor handling of cash and accounting. Ensure store is secured.
- Prioritize, plan, and coordinate work activities, and manage time and resources so that work objectives are met.
- Ensure compliance with legal requirements and company policies and procedures, including check cashing, security, safety, sanitation, wage and hour, etc.
- Focus on customer satisfaction and needs, ensure that employees provide customers with superior customer service through use of best practices and communication of the importance of superior customer service.
- Select, train, develop, and manage job performance of store employees, with assistance of other management personnel.
- Provide constructive suggestions and encouragement, set performance expectations, provide honest feedback, and identify assignments to provide others with developmental opportunities.
- Preserve appropriate professional relationship with union officials, and ensure compliance with collective bargaining agreement provisions, if applicable.
- Maintain positive working relationships with direct reports, peers, supervisors, suppliers, and customers effectively handling complex or difficult situations involving others.
- Motivate others to perform the job and work towards common objectives. Serve as a role model to others instilling a positive attitude in his/her employees.
- Support company fundraising activities and goals.
Travel will be required to attend a one-week new hire orientation at our corporate headquarters in Pleasanton, California. You will travel to your division office throughout the 9-month program for further training.
Relocation is very important for a career at Safeway. Based on business needs, participants must be willing to relocate anywhere within their assigned division for their training store location and also for placement as a store manager following successful completion of the program.
Schedules , with store operations running 24 hours per day, must allow for a variety of shifts and long hours including nights, holidays, and weekends. Days off during the work week are seldom taken consecutively.