Apply on Company Website
Food & Beverage, Retail
From One World Class Team to Another
SAFEWAY SUPPLY OPERATIONS MANAGER LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
UPCOMING CLASS: September 30 - October 4, 2013
This position will be located in Tracy, California.
Please see our other postings for opportunities in additional locations.
Safeway is one of the most successful food and drug retailers in North America and is headquartered in Pleasanton, California. From our first store in 1915, our employees are the driving force behind our incredible success as their professionalism, passion, and ambition have helped us become a Fortune 100 company with over 1,700 locations across the United States and Canada.
Given the competitive business landscape, it is becoming increasingly important to focus on hiring exceptional talent. A key component of our strategy includes recruiting and developing trained leaders. Confident, responsible, ethical, courageous, inspiring, and committed to excellence - as a military service member, you are a leader. These are the characteristics that make Safeway employees successful as we, too, are dedicated to world-class service.
Military Leadership Development Program:
Our Military Leadership Development Program prepares Military Non-Commissioned Officers (NCOs) to become Warehouse Supervisors at one of our distribution centers. Our development program includes a combination of on-the-job training, interacting with co-workers and customers on the sales floor, classroom seminars, job shadowing with various retail and backstage employees, and independent study, as well as participating in numerous department and divisional meetings.
Upon successful completion of the leadership development program, participants are placed into their roles. There are advancement opportunities based on performance and position availability. Career progression begins by moving to higher volume locations and taking on additional challenges within the store, distribution, or plant manufacturing environment. From our stores to our corporate headquarters, and with departments ranging from Retail Management to Labor Relations to Merchandising to Information Technology to Loss Prevention, we offer location transfer availability and careers that build your skills and your future.
Interview and Selection Process:
Each applicant undergoes an extensive structured recruiting process which includes a phone interview with one of Safeway’s senior recruiters, a panel interview with division or department leadership, and a final phone interview with corporate senior leadership.
We aspire to be the best in all that we do and we need you to achieve that goal. If you are looking to join another world-class team, we invite you to build your career with Safeway and help pave the way to our future. For more information, including job descriptions and to apply online, please visit www.careersatsafeway.com/military.
Your leadership served our country.
Now, let our career opportunities serve you.
Warehouse Supervisor Job Description:
The Warehouse Supervisor position supports the Warehouse Superintendent and management team within Safeway’s Distribution Center complexes.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Must have served a minimum of three (3) years as a non-commissioned officer with direct leadership experience in a branch of the United States military. High school diploma or equivalent required; college degree is preferred.
- Must provide a DD Form 214 indicating an honorable discharge or separation as a condition of hire.
- 3-5 years experience in warehousing or logistics with 2-4 of those years in a supervisory capacity.
- Strong customer service, communication, organizational, analytical, supervisory, and leadership skills.
- Ability to build sound working relationships with hourly associates while managing union contract requirements, and experience holding employees accountable for working safely and ensuring a safe work environment.
- Ability to define performance measures and perform financial and metrics analysis.
- Proven ability to define performance measures related to the business and hold associates accountable for the same.
- Ability to analyze cost performance data to improve operations and reduce costs.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and team building skills.
- Must possess the following traits: proactive, risk taker, change agent and strong sense of courage.
- Must be comfortable at giving and receiving open feedback.
- Able to supervise a medium-to-large group of warehouse employees.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Plan warehouse work operations in accordance with shipments, received, store orders, perish-ability, and stock rotation requirements.
- Schedule and assign warehouse crew and equipment to meet schedules to handle daily volume efficiently.
- Supervise warehouse crews in a unionized environment.
- Supervise truck loading, order selecting, and receiving.
- Ability to coach, train, and lead work teams to achieve performance as it relates to specialization in receiving, processing, storage, order assembly or loading.
- Ensure adherence to Safeway policies, procedures, and practices.
- Take inventories as required. Report and clear indications of “out of stock” or “overstocked” conditions developing.
- Administrative duties as related to warehouse functions.
- Design, monitor, and maintain a safe working environment through compliance of safety programs.
- Supervise minor maintenance and sanitation as needed.
- Involved in and recommend hiring, promotions, terminations, performance appraisals, and labor standards.
- Maintain a high level of customer service for retail and public customers.
- Cultivate a positive and innovative work environment.
- Strive for fast continuous systematic planned improvement.
will be required to attend a one-week new hire orientation at our corporate headquarters in Pleasanton, California. Relocation
is very important for a career at Safeway. Based on business needs, participants must be willing to relocate to any of the Safeway Distribution Center locations across the United States for placement following successful completion of the program. We are unable to predict the specific location where placement will occur following training so it is important to remain flexible to relocation based on business needs. Safeway provides a relocation package. Schedules
must allow for a variety of shifts and long hours including swing and graveyard, nights, holidays, and weekends.