Part-Time History Instructor (Pool) Job Listing at SMCCCD in San Mateo, CA (Job ID 2014040F-District_Office)
Posting Text General Statement
This position is a “pool” position meaning that openings may or may not be currently available. The District maintains a “pool” of applications for positions which are needed on an ongoing basis at Canada College, College of San Mateo, and Skyline College. The advantage of “pool” positions is when a position becomes available, the Dean may immediately begin screening applications from the available pool of applicants without having to post a position and wait while the position is being advertised. Your application for this position will be kept current for a period of three years.Duties and Responsibilities
1) Teach classes as assigned from the regular History Department curriculum.
2) Consult with students during regularly scheduled office hours.
3) Maintain expertise in current teaching and discipline technologies.
4) Perform other duties as required by contract, collective bargaining agreement, and general institutional needs. The College offers day and evening classes.Minimum Qualifications
1) Master’s degree in History OR, Bachelor’s degree in History AND a Master’s in Political Science, Humanities, Geography, Area Studies, Women’s Studies, Social Science, Ethnic Studies OR the Equivalent.
2) Ability to communicate effectively with persons of diverse cultures and language groups, and people who have disabilities. Demonstrated sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with disabilities, in both day and evening settings.Physical Requirements Equivalence to Minimum Qualifications
Please note that equivalency determination is based solely upon the screening committee’s review of the applicant’s transcripts. The equivalency application form and conclusive evidence to support the request for equivalence (i.e. must be uploaded as part of your application package to be considered. Failure to do so may result in disqualification of your application. The request for equivalency form can be found on the left-hand side of the home page by clicking on ‘Applicant Documents.’ Equivalence requests can be in one of the following areas:
Degree Equivalence: Possession of a degree(s) with similar content to those listed in the job announcement. Transcripts required.
Academic Background Equivalence: Meet all of the requirements for minimum qualifications in an allied field, and twenty-four (24) semester units of both upper division and graduate work in the academic field specified in the job announcement. Transcripts required.
Professional Achievement Equivalence: Outstanding professional achievement or substantial training in the field specified in the job announcement. Preparation, experience, and ability must be equivalent to those expected from a candidate who meets minimum qualifications. Supporting documentation may include official transcripts, credentials, licenses, certificates, employer attestations, publications, or other relevant materials.Preferred Qualifications Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The screening committee will select for interview candidates from among those applicants who, in addition to meeting the minimum requirements, give evidence of any or all of the following:
1. Recent successful experience in teaching or preparation to teach college-level courses in one or more of the following areas of History: Western Civilization, U.S. History Survey, African American History, Latinos in the U.S., Race, Ethnicity and Immigration, and Women’s U.S. History.
2. Understanding and commitment to the role and purpose of the community college
3. Acceptance of the division’s commitment to established academic standards
4. Commitment to using writing as an evaluative assessment
5. Knowledge of the use of technology in teaching and History
6. Ability to use and develop teaching methods that emphasize cooperation and collaboration, and engage students actively in learning, encouraging them to become independent, creative learners with higher-order thinking skills
7. Ability to organize and explain materials in ways appropriate to students with different abilities, levels of preparation, and cultural experiences
8. Ability to develop instructional learning outcomes and to develop methods for assessing student’s achievement of these outcomes
9. Ability to organize and teach both theoretical and practical applications of the subject-matter in ways appropriate to students abilities
10. Commitment to the SMCCCD goal of integrating writing skills across the curriculumFaculty Benefits
Academic employees participate in the State Teachers’ Retirement System (STRS), a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California or they may choose to participate in the STRS Cash Balance program or Social Security.Posting Detail Information Open Date 07/08/2014 First Review Date Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions Summary
Required application materials will be screened on the basis of Requirements and Desirable Skills and Abilities listed in this announcement. Candidates for interview will be selected from among those who most closely meet the requirements and desirable skills and abilities. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview. As part of the interview process, candidates may be asked to provide a teaching demonstration or demonstrate other job-related skills.Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, the selected candidate will be required to complete the following:
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.Accomodations
Applicants who have disabilities may request that special accommodations be made in order to complete the selection process. Accommodation request forms and a copy of the Americans with Disabilities Act applicant procedures are available in the Office of Human Resources.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
View similar jobs:
Talentburst, Inc. - San Francisco, CA
Senior Manager of Revenue Analytics and Planning
Charles Schwab - San Francisco, CA
Robert Half Finance & Accounting - San Mateo, CA
Locate this job: