Locate this job
The Senior Java SOA Developer role is an exciting opportunity to contribute directly to the Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) strategy for Teach For America. As our organization expands, there is a need to incorporate SOA based services into our application development efforts. This position is a hands-on role that will collaborate closely with the development teams. All the SOA services will be designed using industry standard design patterns. This role will expand and enhance our expertise in the area of service development and will involve working closely with other parts of our technology team, including business analysts to understand business needs, database and business intelligence groups for data concerns, and application development groups to ensure tight integration with their approach.
Our team loves to collaborate. We partner with every other team in the organization to create world-class technology solutions that staff and corps members use to more effectively and efficiently get all kids access to educational opportunity. To do so, we work with some of the largest names in technology, and leverage the latest software, equipment, and expertise. Our team works very hard, but we also have a lot of fun. We enjoy game nights, quarterly trivia outings, and themed potlucks where we get together to eat and explore each other's cultures and favorite recipes.
- Designing and building Restful Web Services in the Java programming language
- Implementation of design patterns in the services
- Collaborating with other development teams on the functionality and development of the services, and making sure our approach is in sync with their needs
- Creating and maintaining service usage documentation
- Working in both Unix and Windows environments
- Developing or modifying database schemas as needed to support application development, and continually providing support for software and services that we build
- Practicing Test Driven Development
- Communicating development status on a regular basis to technology team members
- Recommending cost effective technology solutions for business challenges
- At least 5+ years development experience developing either the front or back-end of multi-tier Java systems
- At least 2+ years working with Restful web services, both as a developer and an architect of solutions with web services
- Strong familiarity with SOA concepts and/or building services in a SOA environment
- Expert knowledge of Design Patterns and Design by Contract
- Strong JUnit and/or TestNG experience. Experience in writing Test suites and unit testing web services a big plus.
- Proficient with one of the following ORM layers: Hibernate ,Torque, or iBatis, etc.
- Experience using the Jersey for Restful Services and/or Jackson Libraries for SOA
- Strong SQL query skills
- Experience developing, deploying and managing software in both Windows and Unix environments
- Experience with JSON and XML
- Experience with JSF or JSP
- Experience with Tomcat or WebSphere Portal
- Experience with at least one form of Enterprise Service Bus
- Familiar with Agile Development methods and/or willing to work in Agile enviornment
- Experience with Mule Enterprise Service Bus
- Experience with any Master Data Management (MDM) technology
- Experience with any identity management technology (Oracle OIM/OAM, Tivoli, etc)
- Building service based integrations to Workday, Salesforce or other SaaS based solution
- Experience with build technology (Ant, Maven, etc.)
- Experience developing with Oracle databases
- Must be detail-oriented, extremely organized, and will have exceptional writing and communication skills
- Demonstrated a record of developing successful applications that are highly integrated and reliable
- Ability to operate effectively, and with a sense of possibility, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to be highly collaborative in coming up with solutions
- At least a four-year degree in Computer Science, BSEE, MIS or a related field
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page to find the link to the online application.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Teach For America seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Apply on company website