Mechanic - Diesel Engines Job Listing at Union Pacific in Livonia, LA (Job ID ScrapingHub11639-Mechanic Diesel Engines/Livonia/LA/070479)
Diesel Mechanics are responsible for the inspection, repair and maintenance of the engine and mechanical components of diesel electric locomotives. Physical duties involve occasionally climbing and maintaining balance on locomotive steps and ladders to gain access to the locomotive roof; maintaining balance when occasionally walking on catwalks, running boards, uneven terrain, ballast, and roofs while making repairs; stepping around objects and equipment on the floor; performing work while occasionally bending and stooping, and being in awkward postural positions; performing occasional overhead work for short periods of time; lift/carry and push/pull objects weighing 25 lbs (frequently) and up to 86 lbs. (usually with assistance); and remaining standing or sitting for more than one-half of every work day with the opportunity to periodically change position for comfort.
* Inspect and service the diesel locomotive fleet in compliance with company, federal, and industry standards.
* Diagnose diesel engine, air compressor, and other locomotive mechanical system malfunctions.
* Repair, replace, or rebuild locomotive and diesel engine components as needed.
* Read, interpret, understand, and find (if necessary) written or electronic information, including information from diagrams, schematics, blueprints, graphs, and charts, and input information as needed into a computer.
* Detect and interpret visual color signals and displays at near and far distances; identify alterations of objects (size, shape, temperature); detect unusual sounds and smells during inspections and tests (leaks in air systems); use depth perception to judge speed and distance of locomotives being moved on service area, and listen to detect warning signals.
* Understand and follow company and industry safety rules, practices, and standards.
* Conduct job briefings to ensure safe and effective coordination of activities.
* Verifiable documentation of a minimum of 2 years of combined mechanical education and work experience with trucks, ships, farm equipment, airplanes, trains OR 2 years of mechanical work experience OR a current journeyman's mechanical card.
* Applicants for this position must pass a pre-employment test in English before being allowed to interview. Click here to see a sample of the Skilled Craft Battery test.
* Applicants must qualify on a Physical Ability Test (PAT) prior to employment. Click here for a description of the Physical Abilities Test.
* An Associates Degree or higher or a certificate in Diesel Technology.
* Verifiable documentation of a minimum of 4 years of combined mechanical education and work experience with trucks, ships, farm equipment, airplanes, trains OR 4 years of mechanical work experience OR a current journeyman's mechanical card.
With more than 8,000 locomotives and 107,000 freight cars, mechanics at all career levels can find opportunities at Union Pacific’s many shops. Mechanical employees inspect, repair and maintain freight cars and locomotives. By ensuring the equipment is in good working order, Union Pacific can offer safe, reliable transport of customer goods.
Union Pacific is one of America’s premier transportation and logistics companies, linking 23 states in the western two-thirds of the country and serving many of the fastest-growing U.S. cities. Generations of Americans have built successful careers at Union Pacific and in the process, they’ve helped build a nation – delivering lumber for our homes, food for our tables, energy for our power plants and the countless raw materials and finished goods that supply the American way of life.
*Location:* Livonia, LA
*Closing Date:* Apply early as this job may be removed as soon as there are sufficient applicants.
Apply on Company Website
Get alerts for jobs like this:
Get jobs like this tweeted to you:Automotive jobs in Louisiana Non-Metro
View similar jobs:
Ryder - Shreveport, LA
Ryder - Shreveport, LA
UPS - Shreveport, LA
Locate this job: