Apply on Company Website
The UPS Store, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of UPS is the world's largest franchisor of retail shipping, postal, printing and business service centers. The UPS Store® has approximately 4,800 independently locations in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada. We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, dental, 401(k) with company match, retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, discounted stock purchase plans and more.
The focus of this position will have responsibility in administration of The UPS Store, Inc. SQL database systems. This position will also be responsible for analysis, design, implementation, and test of development and production database structures.
Other Job Duties:
- Leads the database team by planning, monitoring, and appraising job results; develop, coordinate, and enforce systems, policies, procedures, and standards.
- Establishes strategic goals by gathering pertinent business, financial, service, and operations information; identify and evaluate trends and options; define objectives and evaluate outcomes.
- Configuration, administration and maintenance of the SQL Server databases for The UPS Store, Inc development, quality assurance, and production environments.
- Data security implementation to safe guard corporate data.
- Manages data backup process and assure ongoing data integrity.
- Monitors the corporate databases to ensure the systems are available to the entire franchise community.
- Provides visibility to the performance of the corporate databases.
- Acts upon production alarms, anomalies, and changes.
- Works with Network Engineers to coordinate network problem resolution.
- Participates in the software development life cycle to ensure accuracy, integrity, availability, and efficiency of corporate data.
- Reviews and analyze work products developed by software development group, including products developed by outside vendors.
- Manages database changes using best practices in configuration management.
- Consults with the software development staff on systems upgrade, or patch, to coordinate a schedule for applying the required changes.
- Provides data and reports to the business where not available through production applications.
- Actively contribute to ongoing process improvement activities.
- Participates in product and project meetings.
- Provides time estimates for completion of project tasks.
- Provides status reports to Management.
- Raises issues as needed and follow through on resolutions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or technical training equivalent is preferred.
- Work experience in the database administration field.
- Strong understanding and working knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server 2005, 2008 and 2012
- Good understanding of software development life cycle.
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet commitments.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Extensive work experience with development process and integration of QA process.
- Work as a key contributor in a cohesive and highly productive team.
- Internally motivated, with strong sense of initiative and desire to seek out and accept new challenges.
- Working knowledge of version control principles
- Must have experience working on projects from conceptual design to implementation.
- Ability to collaborate and work in a team environment. Comfortable working in a team.
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic working environment.
- Knowledge of project management methods and practices.
- Demonstrated knowledge of development methods and practices in a multi-platform environment.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work independently.
- Able to work extended time seated and in front of a monitor.